Headlight Sockets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Headlight Sockets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

I am looking for headlight sockets for my 1919 C-door. The reflectors had two bulbs in them. One for bright and one for dim. Someone had changed them in the past to double filament single bulbs. I would like to set them up again as original. See attached photos of the socket and clips. I need 3 of each the sockets and clips.
Thanks, Chuck

Headlamp
Headlamp2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 05:37 am:

I am new to Model T's, and my 1925 Roadster Pick Up has a plain reflector with only the main, rear lamp holder.

Is this side mounted lamp holder, a parking light? A lot of European cars that I have tinkered with, BMW, Mercedes and Porsches, have a teeny tiny bulb there are a parking light. These are in the 4 watt range. Old 6V Volkswagen Beetles have a good sized lamp holder like that at the bottom, as a parking light.

I am interested to see what those with more T wisdom say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:18 am:

Erik, The double socket lights of 1919 to I think as late as 1922 But do not quote me on the dates. were how the bright/dim was handled. One bulb on for dim and both bulbs on for bright. I also believe the 2 bulb lights are a closed car only part. Chuck, I sent you a e-mail...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:33 am:

From Service Bulletin April 1919, the factory used different headlamps in the early battery period. Namely three systems in 1919, Double bulb headlamps (small one for dim), then the single bulb double coil lamp, and the single bulb with dimmer resistance. This third style used on the open cars. The closed cars got the fancy stuff!

Double bulb headlamp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:35 am:

My 21 coupe has the reflectors for the 2 bulbs, but the hole for the small bulb has a silvered plug blocking the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:53 am:

So it looks like I will need two different sized sockets/bulbs?? So is the top light a parking light or was it bright enough to be used as ‘dim’ headlights?? All that were in my car was the center bulb/socket which had been converted to double filament. Thanks for the info. Chuck

Donnie: I sent you pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Chuck

Ford p/n 6511X is the double or two bulb headlamps assembly.

1920 Parts Book calls for 6-8 volt Mazda single contact bulb for electric battery cars, bright lamp, Ford p/n6572CX.

That dim 2cp bulb was for the dim light setting, never was intended as just a parking lamp, but low light for city driving as required by most jurisdictions back then.

That dim bulb electric battery, Ford p/n6520X, 6-8volt, single contact, 2 candle power, same as the tail lamp bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Not having ever had one like that...

Are both of the sockets the same size? Or is one smaller than the other?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Not having ever had one like that...

Are both of the sockets the same size? Or is one smaller than the other?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration