Caution HOT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Caution HOT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Anyone light oil cowl or taillites at shows or cruise ins? I think lookers would enjoy seeing oil lamps lit for the first time but would worry about someone getting burned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

I got pulled over once in a 14 T for a loose wire in my tail lights
The officer didn't like it when I said I would just turn up the wick.
And almost fainted when I pointed out the headlights were acydaline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

I've had people rest their arm on a hot brass radiator several times, all different people of course. Guess they don't think about that that is the actual radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:47 am:

You think those are bad? I have seen more than a few spectators run up to speedsters or racing cars just as they come in from many miles on the road, grab the straight pipe pipe as they holler "Is this re-AL!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Tommy: you could place a couple of signs around the car stating the lights when illuminated are HOT! please don't touch anything without owners permission.

Bob: I hope the officer at least listened to you. I was pulled over because I only had one brake light on the 46 Ply**** even though there were 3 lights on the back of the car. I tried to tell him that was original but he wrote me a ticket so when I went to court I had my wiring diagrams and showed them to the Judge. The judge didn't like the young Officer much after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Wayne I've come to the conclusion we're surrounded by morons! And, we allow them to vote. G.R. my experience with "keep away" signs makes 'em wanna touch it all the more just to see if it's true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:48 am:

Only the tops of the round and square kerosene lamps will get more than warm. Also, the bonnets on the gas lamps will get about the same.

Both are air-cooled by normal driving and are not as hot as your radiator, which (mine) is 190 - 195 degrees max at normal operating temp.

I drove my '14 to the office here in Houston this morning all lit up and there were at least three photo "sessions" at stop lights.

(Photo from 2016)

The traffic will see you and the square lights are very good side lamps.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

I always light mine at shows when it starts to get dark. People find it fascinating and take pics and ask questions. Nobody has been burned yet. If they did, I would tell them there is no excuse for not knowing about something that has been around for over 100 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Like candlelight, Model T lights are pretty magical. Acetylene, Kerosene or electric have a wonderful charm worth sharing. Good on you who can share them with others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

OK, maybe just one more. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

In a day and age where everyone is sue happy I think I would want to put a warning sign near my car if it were at a show. If you were hauled into court at least you can say you made a reasonable effort to warn the public. You may still lose but you tried.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Back in my college days (I went back as a much older student)I had to do an "observational survey" project, so I picked a busy classroom building, and while everyone was in class, posted "Wet Paint!" signs on one wall. I then sat back and counted number of folks going through the hall and number of folks who HAD to touch the "wet Paint."
The professor loved it! I don't remember the results, but quite a few folks just had to check. .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

I light mine as often as I can and, of course, when necessary. Never had a problem yet. It's much easier, more convenient and far less messy now that I have a period Prest-O-Lite tank.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration