Magneto pick up external oil line

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Magneto pick up external oil line
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:20 am:

I have an external oil line fed from the mag pickup. During a recent engine removal / transmission rebuild the pick up was damaged.
The brass pick up plunger got bent side ways, which damaged the tube that it fits up into. I "think" I can repair the damage with a bit of solder, however I am wondering what stops the brass pick up end from falling out?
It is inserted into the tube with a small spring behind it exerting pressure downwards,....it does seem to stay in place, but if it fell out "Bad Things" will happen.

Dave Eddie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Got picture(s)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 11:31 am:

The contact on the magneto coil......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 02:35 am:

There were dozens of variations of those made back in the days. And more than a few different ones made as repros in the past few decades. Some were made of pot metal, some aluminum, some brass, and some steel. One of the nicest ones I ever had was a big chunk of rubber, with holes and a brass fitting in the side, and the connection post going straight down the middle. I wish I hadn't let that one go with the car when I sold it. Most had more than one kind of metal in different places. Some can be soldered, some cannot. Some can be glued together with your favorite epoxy and work well. However, epoxy does not conduct electricity, and depending on where it goes, can isolate the mag coil.
On some, the "pin/spring/plunger" all bolts together from the bottom to the connecting nut at the top. Some of them, can be taken apart, and that assembly can be made with simple tools and materials, then replaced. I have done that on a couple of mine.
So, it really depends on the specifics of what you have.
A little creativity can go a long way.
Good luck, and have fun!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration