Ruckstell oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ruckstell oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

What is the right oil to use in a Ruckstell rear end .... I have some 80/90 gear oil is this ok or do I need to get something else .. Thanks for any help ... Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I believe something like 90 or 140 weight gear oil is recommended. Use of the standard 250 wt oil is not recommended. I run a full synthetic 75W-140 in mine. No problems going on 3 years of use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:49 am:

The accepted gear was always 140 for regular T rear end and 90 for the Ruckstell.
I always recommend 75-140 for either.
Could also use 80-90 in the Ruckstell.
It is worth the extra cost to use synthetic gear oil, it doesn't stink up the garage if it leaks out on the floor. That can be important if you keep your T in an attached garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 11:12 am:

I've been using 140 for years. 90 wt. can leak more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Are the synthetic oils friendly to yellow metal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Yep. Answered that one a while back ago.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration