Info on chickasha

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Info on chickasha
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andrew o sullivan on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

i there... I was looking to go to Hershey this year but the time is a bit off , ,,,,so can I ask is Chickasha just as good ,,looking for t parts or will I go to Hershey,,Which is better or are the two meet just as good .. if I can get some advice on the Chickasha meet thanks for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

It kind of depends on what parts you're needing and where you're traveling from. Chickasha isn't as big as Hershey, so it might not have as much T stuff, but then, because its smaller, you have a better chance of seeing everything in two days. By posting here what you need, members attending, might be able to tell you in advance if they have it and will bring it to the meet. Also, If Mark at Model T Haven in Kansas has something that you need, he could bring it ti the meet or if you were going home through his area, you could pickup what you need at his place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Which is better? I don't know. I have driven home from both with my car full.

The meets are very different. Chickasha is restricted to prewar years. Nothing after 1942 is allowed. Two days give you plenty of time to circulate more than once and find things you missed the first time around. Hershey, being open to all years, is huge. It takes me three days to cover it just once. Be ready to do a lot of walking. If you're after a specific item, whether you find it in either place depends largely on how scarce it is. Some things are plentiful at both meets, and other things are unlikely to show up at either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andrew o sullivan on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

thanks for the info .. speedo, hood, irons hood parts thanks again all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

I would submit that as Chickasha has been on the decline for the last few years and brass cars at Hershey are fewer and fewer as each year passes, the last real Pre War swap meet is Bakersfield California. The empty stalls and lower head count at Hershey and Chickasha pretty much tell the story, where as Bakersfield is sold out every year.

Having participated in Hershey for over 28 years and Chickasha since it's beginning I have watched both meets dramatically change over the years. I stopped going to either several years ago due to lack of the "good stuff".

Bakersfield is the ONLY swap meet sponsored by both the Model T club and the Horseless Carriage Club as a joint venture. It is strictly a pre war swap meet and there are lots of model t parts, as well lots of brass era parts and cars for sale.

For my money, if there was a decision between Chickasha or Bakersfield, there would be no contest, Bakersfield every time.

In fact I have not missed a Bakersfield swap meet but once for illness if the damn heart doctor would have let me go I would have been there.

Unlike Chickasha and Hershey Bakersfield has lots of INEXPENSIVE motels and restaurants. Easy to get around from roads or airports. That alone is an additional plus. A inexpensive flight to one of the number of airports in the LA area, and a very quick and easy 90 mile drive to Bakersfield.
I am as always looking forward to Bakersfield in April with great expectations. I already have my shopping list and money at the ready.

Look forward to meeting you in Bakersfield,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Andrew: I saw from your profile you are in Ireland. Chickasha is Friday and Sat this year. If it goes like past years, by noon on the last day it is empty, everyone gone home. Where Hershey is from Tuesday till Sat. Lots more stuff, lots more time.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

I like Bakersfield as its only 75 miles from home. But you can walk it in about an Hour. Lots of nice stuff but if you had your breakfast you can be done before lunch. I make every chance I can but would like to make Chickasha at least once. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

I did Chickasha a couple times in 1990's....it was amazing.

I then did it again two years ago and was saddened by how it was a shell of its former self. I guess a lot of the old-timers have passed on in the intervening years.

I remember seeing a lot of unrestored barn cars for sale 20+ years ago and only a smattering of them recently. And...the number of stalls seemed to be diminished.

It's a bit of a hike from Houston to Chickasha and I've considered going again, now that I'm a Model T owner, but I think I'm going to pass.

I would like to make it to Bakersfield though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

never been to bakersfield! but from what i have been told it is a motor home parking lot.maybe thats why there are empty motels.and as scott says you can walk it in an hour dont think it would be worth the 700 mile drive one way. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Another advantage of Bakersfield is eating at one of the Basque restaurants and having dessert at Dewar's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

BCC and Mr Jeff got it spot on
Far as early parts eats hotels and travel it's 8 hour drive for me but worth it as lunch stop halfway pretty good to
400 mile trip for me worth it every time I have gone small but homey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

I only get to do chickasha every other year but when I'm there I also like to go to see some of the car collectors collections we spent 5 hours one nite we were there , 4 different places I bet I'd go back and see it and the stuff that was already there I would said it was new I feel very privileged to have seen and done this !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

I hope and pray that Chickasha is bigger this year, if only by a few vendors or cars. One complaint that I've heard the last few years is about it being only on weekdays. which prevented a lot of buyers with regular jobs from attending. With it being on Friday and Saturday this year, I'm hoping that allows buyers to attend who previously couldn't without taking off or missing work. If this works out, Susie and Mike might see to keep doing it on these days, but it if doesn't pay off, they'll probably opt to return to weekdays as the fairgrounds rent is cheaper, then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Coming from Ireland, that is a no brainer. Hershey. People travel from all over the world to come to Hershey, don't know if you can say that about Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 10:25 am:

I'm going back to Chickasha for the 16th time this year - to say goodbye to my many T friends. It was half full last year - the 2nd year of $50 inside spaces for just 2 days. But the Pate swapmeet in Ft Worth is having a first time pre war field where I'll be a vendor for 4 days @ $35 a swap space. Sure hope Chickasha revives tho'...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration