Prepping for crankup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Prepping for crankup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

Last night I installed the battery box and set the new 6-volt battery in my '21. Tonight, after I get home from church, I plan to run a new wire from the mag post to the junction block and a new wire from the starter switch to the junction block. I have not yet connected the wires to the timer. With everything else connected and the switch on BATTERY, if I ground the wires , one at a time, each coil should buzz, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

Sounds right to me. Also, once you hook up all the wiring, if you crank the engine over slowly by hand, the plugs should fire in the order 1243 as the timer grounds each coil in succession. :-)

As mentioned in another recent post, do not let any of the coils fire for more than 10 seconds continuously or so or they can overheat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Tip- disconnect the wire that connects to your magneto post. Using a voltage meter, with the key OFF and test the WIRE for voltage. There should be none. Then turn the key ON to Batt and check the voltage. There should be none. Same when you turn the key to MAG. If the car starts, test again. There should be no voltage coming through the mag wire at any time, while disconnected.

What's the purpose? You want to make sure that NO DC VOLTAGE makes it to the mag post at any time. If it does, then you will de-magnetize the magnets in an instant.

Now, if you already know that the magneto is did-functional, then don't worry about the test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

I'm dealing with stripped threads on the mag post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:29 am:

GOOD NEWS this morning. Battery connected, switch on BAT, grounded each timer wire and all 4 coils buzz and I have spark at the sparkplugs.
All 4 coils have their own sound, but all make good blue/white spark at the plug. Tonight I will adjust the timing and connect the wires to the timer. I have 4 or 5 spare coils and I plan to swap them out , or in, I suppose, to see how many of them appear good. JOY JOY JOY (^:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Good luck, can't wait to see the video! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Not so good this morning. I connected the wires to the timer and put the battery cable on and one coil began buzzing. The key was still in my pocket. I have already taken the switch apart and cleaned it so I must have a wire touching where it shouldn't. I will find out tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

It runs. It's too tight to hand crank but cranks well with the electric starter. It runs on BAT or MAG. We made a video and I will post it soon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration