NH bowl gasket from Snyder's. Still too small!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: NH bowl gasket from Snyder's. Still too small!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

I have a box filled with extra parts for my T. In it are, several NH Bowl gaskets, purchased several years ago, that are too small for the flange. I figured they had shrunk with age, so I bought a new gasket kit from Snyder's for the rebuild of my NH Carburetor. I received the gasket kit today and, Dang if the bowl gasket is STILL too small for the flange. I have tried to make it fit, but it is definitely too small and will not stretch! Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a unique Holley NH Carburetor with a bigger flange than all other NH's out there? I remember back in the 70's the bowl gaskets were made from a hard red fibre material that dropped right into place with a perfect fit in the flange. I wish I could find one of those.

I purchased the too small paper bowl gaskets I had in my parts box at least 5 years ago from Snyder's and it seems like after 5 years of complaints from us, such a universally necessary part that virtually every T owner will eventually need would be the right size, but I found this is not the case. The paper gasket I received today is identical to the 5 year old bowl gaskets in my box, so nothing has changed. Does no one ever complain to Snyder's about this? Do they even know the bowl gaskets they are providing to T owners are too small? Is there anyone from Snyder's who monitors this Forum? Is there anyone out there that makes the proper size bowl gasket for the NH?

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Jim, Soak the gasket in oil for a while and it will grow. Gaskets shrink with age. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Jim, Wet the gasket with a little water, it will expand, You sometimes have to do this with paper gaskets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Thank you. Didn't know that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

We see this all the time with paper gaskets everywhere on old cars. A short soak in warm water works great. Pat them dry they are good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

It worked. The gasket fits perfect in the flange now. The vendors should include this information with the paper gaskets, for not everyone has access to the helpful members on the Forum. Thanks again to you all. Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration