The Forks Hotel, Rob what is this big car-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Forks Hotel, Rob what is this big car-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Are those the Four Folks From the Forks Family?

The lady in the big hat in the back is that Mother Forker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:09 am:

If you left a driving coat like that in the car today it most likely wouldn't be there when you got back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:12 am:

I'm not Rob, but the car is an American Underslung.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:12 am:

I make that to be an American Underslung Traveler. 1910.
That is one desirable exotic machine indeed. Note the Hartford-Trufault shock absorber on the front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:22 am:

The car in the photo is 1910 American Underslung Traveler. This is great photo of a very iconic American automobile. The reason it is called Underslung is because the frame is under the axles. When introduced it was quite radical for its time. It featured 41x4-1/2 tires. The engine was a 4 cylinder with 500 cubic inch displacement and had a 4 speed transmission. Whoever owned it was someone of means. The car cost about $5000 in 1910.

There are only a couple of 1910 American Travelers that still exist.

I am current working on a 1914 American Underslung touring and always on the lookout for photos, parts, and information about the cars.

Thanks for sharing,

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:27 am:

One of these, might even be the same car, is in Newport RI at the Audrain collection. I just scanned the action results, it sold for something silly, 1.8 million

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:09 am:

If "Forks" means "Forks, Washington", the photographer captured one of
three days in the past 200 years when it was NOT raining ! Driving a car like
that to Forks, Washington would be on par with taking a bicycle through
a car wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Use this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

I'm not sure of year or Model but this one was on a Boise HCCA Tour a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Richard,
The green American is a 1914 Type 644 Touring. It was formerly in the Harrah and Browning collections. It changed hands a couple of years ago and is now in Illinois.

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Dennis,

Seated:

From left to right .....

Father Frank Fork (not to be confused with Frank Furt)

(Family Fortune Forged From Frontier Flagpoles)

Francine Fork (father's favorite)

Standing:

Folsom Fork

Fermina Fork

Foxworth Fork

Floyd Fork

Seated:

Feodosia Fork

This was a picture taken before the Fork Family signed contracts to appear in the first automobile campaign print ad using modern photography.

" Stick Seven Spoons In It " (the previous ad campaign attempt featuring the Spoon Spawn had failed).

" Stick Seven Forks In It " proved to be quite a hit to the contrary.

A Bit Of Obscure Trivia (sprinkled with BS) ...

Florida Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

I have read that spooning leads to forking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

It looks like ten spokes on the front and twelve on the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 01:59 am:

It's not Forks, Washington. I sent them a copy of the photo and they said it couldn't be there motel. Besides, like Burger said it couldn't be Forks, WA because it's not raining!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 07:37 am:

Me thinks Dennis watches "The Good Place" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Here is the 1909 American Underslung Traveller from the Simone Colllection near Philadelphia.
http://www.simeonemuseum.org/the-collection/endurance-trial/1909-american-unders lung-traveler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:29 am:

Freighter Jim, With a name like "Feodosia Fork" the family must be from Crimea where a large city is called Feodosia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Something tells me that Ferd and Fanny Farkle come into play in this somehow.

Sparkle Farkle married Buck Futz (from Futz Family Farms) and honeymooned
at the Forks Hotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Might be Livermore, Colorado.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Could it be Twin Forks Idaho. Maybe the top of the sign is not in the picture. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Ed, that advertisement makes my imagination run wild because no woman wants to get her hair wet. That means if there is a woman in the car she will be under the Rubbey Cape Apron.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration