Model t timing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model t timing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth b chase on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

On my 22 t i have to move the spark advance 1/3 the way down the quadrant for the car to start. Is this a sign of jumped timing. I did not have to do this when i first got the car i don't want to pull the timing cover, etc. if not necessary. Any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, captkennysue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

Kenneth, get someone to very slowly move the lever for you while you watch the rod and timer. You may be moving the lever a couple or three notches before moving the timer as a result of wear in the linkage. This changes the relationship of the lever and the actual timer position. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

Get rid of any "slop" in the linkage as Ken suggests, then do what is printed here:

http://www.spokanemodeltclub.com/how-to-time-a-model-t.php

Worked great for me!

Dang senior moment - "the name "Ken" above should be JOHN

(Message edited by adave on February 02, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Do you have a distributor Kenneth? If so it could be that the gear on the camshaft has come loose which is common if it was not tightened properly. Easy to fix but you have to remove the distributor to get to the gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth b chase on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

Thanks guys for the input. Absolutly no slop in linkage and no dist. I have a timer. Any other thoughts? Thanks , captkennysue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Another thought, maybe the timer contacts are dirty or worn and don't make contact at the earliest possible time. When was the last time that you cleaned, inspected, and lubricated the timer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth b chase on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Royce, thanks for the suggestion. Timer timer is almost new and i didn't have a problem when i first put it on the car. On a nother subject does anyone know where to buy brush on silver paint for the wheels on the t. Thanks again, captkennysue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Some of the new timers wear out in about 75 - 100 miles. Depends what brand you got. Even the good kind can have problems. Takes a minute to check.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration