Double Wishbone Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Double Wishbone Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

How hard is it to find one or does someone sell new ones? I have the wishbone on top of the axle on the 13 so when I get it going I am wanting to fix it before it becomes a problem.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

I have an extra original one. If you are going to Chckasha I could bring it. PM me if interested at $100.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

For my '15, I bought one of these:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2733S.aspx

Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

By the way, next time you tow it, wrap the tow cable around the front cross member not the axle. The same goes for tie down for trailering. You risk pulling the ball out of the socket towing or tied down by front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

The bracket is available new on EBAY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161614153589?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You need to make the fore-aft bars by cutting up a junk later style wishbone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

I put a double wishbone on my 14 using the bracket Ron showed in the above post. Because our is a driver, I wanted that extra margin of safety. It does make the front end feel more solid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

I made my own clamp after mounting a later model wishbone to the bottom of the axle. It's not that hard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Problem I had just using the ball & socket clamp and an old wishbone was that the perch was not long enough to accept the added wishbone with enough threads to use a cotter pin with the nut.
Maybe grinding some "meat" off the wishbone attach points would suffice, but the part from Lang's mounted fairly easily with enough threads using the thinner pinion nut to use the cotter pin for safety.

Different ways to skin that old cat, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Bob, if you get the kit that Ron describes, you can smash one end of 1/2 inch black pipe to make the rods. I put two other slight bends in it to help clear the drag link and make the other end parallel with the top bar. The pinion nut is the way to go there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Two new drive shaft pinon nuts will get you there. I have a couple of the brackets Ron posted a thread to. They are very nice,easy to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Thanks for the response. I am going to look into the options as I have time to pick the right fit for me while working on the car. Plan was to get it going by spring but when my wife got cancer and had emergency surgery on Christmas morning things kind of got put on the back burner for a while. Now I am thinking some time this summer to hear it run I hope!

As for the strap on the front. The guy I bought the car from had used that to pull the car onto his trailer and was going to hook it up for me the same way but my wife stepped in before I could say anything and it was hooked to the frame when I pulled it on the trailer. Thanks to this forum we both knew better!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

I may be wrong, but those shock absorbers on the front of the car look like the ones that killed Ken Meek. Be very careful of those old after market parts as they were not made with the same quality of the Ford parts.
If that were my car those shocks would be wall hangers and a set of new spring perches would be on the car.

Safety First.

Just a suggestion.
Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Steve,

The shocks on this car will be gone as soon as I start working on it. They are very worn out and let the axle move when I roll the car around. I don't even know if they are safe to hang on the wall!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration