Mag magnets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mag magnets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

I`m going to be trying to start a 1915 T, for the first time. Has not ran in three years. Will the magnets need to be charged? What do I need to do befor starting, other than carburetor and fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

If the mag was OK three years ago, it's probably OK now. If it's not, you can start and run on battery temporarily. It will run that way for quite awhile, but eventually you'll need to charge the battery. Of course, if the mag is working you can use it to charge the battery for starting. If the mag is really working you don't need the battery at all.

Some of this won't apply to your 1915, but here's Milt Webb's "Mothballs" checklist: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

I sure thank you, I`ve never tried starting one that old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

If you run into trouble starting it at first, don't worry. You can make it an easy starter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZzX1Wwrkq8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

:-)
If you don't have a battery close by (a friend of mine uses his cordless drill battery for cold starting his '25 TT), a battery charger will do the trick if unsure about the magneto. I used to set mine on low charge until I bought a $20 dollar battery. Works good.
Don't let that magneto get any DC voltage from any outside source.
If your switch is good, you'll have no troubles. IF I have my head on square, the mag post is on the drivers side and the battery post is on the passengers side.
Check first. :-)
Cases in point; the '23 engine in my '18 sat completely dormant since the early 90's or earlier. The mag is strong with this one. Stiff upper end with a loose lower end. Starts fine on the mag.
The '19 engine (completely worn out and may have been dormant for 50 years) in my Crappy '24 still has life in the mag and I used to light the head lamps with it.

The other hand; the '26 engine in my TT will not even run on the mag once started. That one needs a re-charge.

Perhaps some two cycle gas to aid in starting or a shot of oil in each cylinder to help it along or just keep cranking with the throttle open some more, it'll go.
Please report back about how it went to start that '15. :-)
OH! How does the commutator/timer and roller look? Clean?

(Message edited by Duey_C on February 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

If I jump start T with a 12v. bat. Duey are you saying to disconnect the wire coming from the Mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:11 am:

No. Not necessarily; if the switch on your coil box is working.
The passenger side BAT post will serve. Does your '15 have a battery post like the pic below? The red handled battery charger clamp is attached to the Battery terminal of the coil box.
The MAG terminal is on the drivers side of the coilbox.
Mine's an '18, should be very close to the same as yours.

charger

Do you have a pic of your coil box connections?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Aha. If you turn your switch counter clockwise, you are on the magneto and if you turn your switch clockwise, you are set to battery, yes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:45 am:

Mine sat for 2 years and I just got it started and drove it for the first time today. Of course after so long in mothballs, the carburetor needed to be rebuilt and the float re-set and my sediment bulb screen replaced. Mine had gas in it, much of which evaporated leaving an inch of smelly liquid in the bottom so I had to drain the old gas out of the tank and flush it clean with a couple of gallons of fresh gas.

If yours had gas in it, the tank will need to be flushed of the old gas and new gas poured in. The sediment bulb screen might need to be changed as well. Good luck. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Steve, did I read this correctly?

"Of course, if the mag is working you can use it to charge the battery for starting. If the mag is really working you don't need the battery at all."

I think you need to explain how the AC from the mag will charge the DC battery. Sounds like a "fun project":-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Yes, John Regan sells a magneto battery charger for the earlier cars that don't have a generator. One of our generous forum members sent me a diode and I made my own charger.

When I install a proper 1915 speedometer I may use the charger to illuminate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:45 pm:

More info on the charger: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG102.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

thanks guys that helps

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration