Canadian Post Office Money Orders Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Canadian Post Office Money Orders Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Has anyone in the United States found a way to exchange a Canadian Postal Money Order for U. S. Dollars.

The Money Order notes that it is written for a U. S. Dollars exchange, but the U. S. Post Office, two banks, two credit unions and a foreign exchange bank will not even accept it for a deposit, subject to clearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 07:57 am:

This is T related, as it was payment for a Model T part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:10 am:

Take it to a U.S. Post Office again.

They are supposed to cash Canada Post M.O. as it is reciprocal going the other way.

Your local yocal may not be aware,, ask for the supervisor or go to a bigger post office... certainly worth the try...

(Message edited by george_nj on February 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:54 am:

I have sent many Canadian money orders to the states in U.S. dollars. There has never been a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:58 am:

I have deposited them at my bank with no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:58 am:

A money order is probably one of the most legal ways to do cross border business. I had a certified bank draft come to me in Canada from a US Bank and I had to wait about 14 days for it to clear the bank before it would show in my account. You may have to be patient and wait it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Canadian postal money orders can be cashed at a US post office, provided the money order is addressed to the payee and the amount is in US currency. Don't take "no" for an answer from an uninformed USPS employee. Show them section 371.52 in the following USPS document: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc3_018.htm#ep406957

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:17 am:

A couple years ago, I sold some parts to a member of the MTFCA in Canada.

He paid with a personal check payable in U.S. dollars. No problem depositing it in my bank account.

You should have no problem depositing a Canadian money order that is in U.S. dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Today, I learned more about checks and money orders.

The problem is the account numbers on the bottom of a US check are 9 digits and they identify where to send the check for final payment.

The Canadian money order does not have a valid number to be processed in that manner, although the barcode information on the front identified it as a check to the post office code reader.

My bank was correct in sending me to the post office, and I went to the main post office.

No one there knows their job very well.

Bowie has over 40,000 people and three post offices.

I went to https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1364149-Money-orders-from-Canada- to-the-USA and printed out the information, took it to the main post office, got the same clerk again and told her she should do her homework.

She tried the details and got down to where the money order had to be scanned and verified.

She kept getting the error message, A check was inserted instead of a money order.

She was allowed to re-scan several times and got the same message.

I went to another post office and everything clicked, until the scan gave the same message.

Either the clerk in Canada clicked the wrong box, or the post office scanner reader software is wrong or worn out.

When the 1-800-563-0444 number was called to verify the money order, the message received then was to enter the access code.

There is no block on the money order labeled access code, but the Office no. front and center seems to be the number they wanted, as that provided the verification code required on the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

Just more proof that if you really want to screw something up, computerize it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

Send it to me and I'll have my SIL cash it in Canada and send you the $$$$.

Of course I'll attach a fee.... Just kidding about the "fee"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

I'm the other party in this "fiasco ". The good news is we have figured out a solution. Now I know why I like PayPal!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:12 am:

Mark is correct! The computers did it!!!

There were no problems with the money order being valid.

The major problem was with postal clerks that did not know their job. Secondary to that was the computer systems that were involved with the process.

The first clerk told me they only processed pink Canadian money orders. The website noted they were phased out starting in 2008.

I went back to the same clerk the next day with the website printout. she said, "sorry, I thought it was Japanese!"

The next problem was you have to call an 800 number to get an authorization code. You are first asked for an access number. There are several numbers on the money order, but none are labeled access number. I had already tried them and written in the validation code on the money order. The third clerk was a do it yourself type. He learned on the third phone call that the Access No.is labeled Office no. on the money order.

The next problem was the last step is to scan the money order and the scanner kept telling the clerk that was a check and not a money order. Whether the clerk in Canada hit the wrong button and the scanner code identified the paper wrong or whether the scanners at the two post offices were both defective, worn out or the software was never correctly tested remains a mystery.

The banks could not cash the money order, because their system has to scan the 9 digit number on the bottom to know where to collect the cash for the payment. Canada uses a 10 digit number, with the last bit being a check sum and the bank computers can not recognize their numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:23 am:

Don't worry Jim we'll get that all straightened out after we invade Canada. I think that is scheduled right after we finish building the wall at the Mexican border. :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

Dennis, when I was growing up, I lived on the St Lawrence River, and there was no wall. I often went for a boat ride to Canada, less than a mile away, or took a ride on the tour boats that stopped there. Now there are river watchers that report you, with boats that intercept you and take your boat for a very complete inspection. If you complain, they lock you in a cell. The wall is electronic and invisible, we do not need a fence there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Jim,

Yea your right it was easier years ago. My Dad had cousins that live in Canada and we could just jump in the car and visit. Now you need a passport, 6 forms of ID, a urine sample, and 2 nuns to vouch for you. What I get upset about is that 300/lb female border guard that always strip searches me out in the snow! I think she is still mad at me because the one time we crossed I commented to her about what a cute little pet monkey she had only to find out it was her son! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration