Motel t wheel paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Motel t wheel paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth b chase on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I know that the silver color on the t wheels was either galvanize or zinc originally. Does anyone know of a brush on PAINT the would closely match the original color. Either a color name or a brand name would help. Thanks, captkennysue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Try the Hammerite brand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Sherwin Williams "Silver Brite". It's meant to be used a roof paint on metal roofs so it is Very durable and dries to a beautiful bright silver color just like it originally looked and it does not dull. If you can zoom in on the front wheel, you can see what I mean. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

I use Cold Galvanize in a spray can, I think Rustolum is the brand I used. After about 8 years has taken on a nice gray/silver color and has held up fairly well. Ford suggested to use silver paint for in service repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

It's not either or. Galvanized means zinc coated. Two ways of saying the same thing. Recently a bunch of T guys in the Houston area pooled a lot of their rims and chipped in to have the lot galvanized. I don't know the math of their deal, but when I had mine done five years ago seven rims cost me about $33 each. If I'd had enough rims, I could have had about sixty done at the minimum price and it would have worked out to about four dollars a rim.

For paint, rattle can Rustoleum is fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry P on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Holy crap Jim! That is beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

@Steve pretty similar math. Southwest Galvanizing charges the same rate for 600 pounds and below. We could have done 60 rims for the same price as 10. The rims will be done Monday so I will know the final total then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Thanks Larry. When I was first researching model T's in 1970 when I first bought my car and was reading as much as I could about it, I read somewhere where the rims were originally cadmium plated. Here is a link to an old 2003 thread on the subject which does little to clear up the question. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/6/1476.html?1049429663

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

I don't know where the cadmium story comes from, but on Page 689 of the encyclopedia Bruce McCalley states "The rims were zinc plated." Any rims I have ever seen with surviving plating were galvanized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:55 am:

There are two zinc plating processes. As far as I know, T rims were electro plated with zinc. This process puts an even coat of zinc over the metal and the finish is smooth.

Hot dip galvanising sees the parts dipped in molten zinc, for a thicker coating that is not so even looking, and may need a little attention to sharp points before mounting tyres.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Are you talking wheels or rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Allan is exactly right. Because of the thicker coating, I prefer hot dip for both wheel rims and roofing nails. That's why at auctions I buy old nails. The modern electroplated ones become rust spots in a few years.

While the hot dipped rims "may need a little attention to sharp points", I found this a very minor consideration easily fixed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration