1923 TOURING FRONT SEAT FRAME???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1923 TOURING FRONT SEAT FRAME???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

I am confused (not surprised) about the front seat frame and the rear seat toe (kick) panel. Looking back at some posts, even some by me, I still need some answers. I am putting this car together from a bunch of misc. parts to see what I have and what I need. Please help me with this: Is the seat frame different on a roadster and a touring? And: Which rear seat toe (kick) panel should I be looking for? I do have a front seat heel panel that seems to be ok. HELP.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

I did a little more research, using the various catalogs and I do believe that seat frames are different.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

If your 23 Touring is a low cowl car they might be the same as the earlier 17-early 23 low cowl cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Paul, I have a toe board and two top side panels for a seat frame. I think it was supposed to have been from a touring, but can't remember the year. Was planning on trying to list it with a bunch of other parts over the coming week in the classifieds. I'll see if I can get a good picture of it and post it tomorrow. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

The front seat heel panel for a 23 roadster is the same as that for the 23 touring. Earlier open cars have s different heel panel but I believe the one you need started to be used with the 22 open cars and was the same until the 26 cars. The touring does have a rear seat toe panel that the roadster obviously doesn't use. Howell's (fordor.com) has good photos showing these. PM me if you need more photos. I am doing the same as you except my piece together car is a 24 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Thomas-Thank you. I am leaning toward just buying a new seat frame. Howell's picture is good-probably go direct to them. I have a few folks looking locally, for good used frame. Probably not the best option.
I' m doing my '23 Touring using rewooding plans from Leon Parker. I am making a few corrections to a couple of Mis-measured location. If you need anything, let me know as I am fumbling my way along.
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Paul - I went with Howell's since I couldn't find the pieces anywhere else. A friend of mine eventually picked up the heel panel from Bakersfield for so I am using that instead. I still have not seen an original toe kick for sale. I would sell you my Howell's heel panel but it would be of little use since you would still need the other pieces. Howell's only sells all of them together in a set.

Here is a photo of the kick panel that I fount on the web awhile ago.

heel panel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Paul, Here is a picture of the front seat kick panel that I have. I believe it is correct for a 22-25 touring. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Finally, my front seat frame came in from MAC's. I think it is what I need. It is in 4 pcs. which will help with the fitting. Then I will assemble it, when everything fits. MAC's Number is: TM339 and 16-56460-1
Thank you-Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:31 am:

Thomas...you forgot to turn the picture...

that's my seat back from my 22 and yes it's the same as on a 23. My wife never forgave me for getting all that black paint on her stowage bins...women, they're funny like that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 02:45 am:

I painted that with rattle can Rustoleum black lacquer...works nice and is a good match for Dupont Pitch acrylic black lacquer, in that it's really black and not some sort of dark dark grey.
The down side is that if you lay on really thick (like on fenders and splash aprons), it takes 6 months to fully cure to where you can rub it out...the seat back took a day, but then I didn't lay it on as thick as the fenders either.

The only difference between my 22's body and a 23-25 is that my car has a two man top...later in 22 they went to the slant windshield and what's laughingly called the one man top. Otherwise the bodies are identical, until they chance to high cowl and that is really the only difference there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Still a little cold for painting here in the NW and wet also. Hope to get the pillars in correct position. Then fit the sheet metal and at least primed before it flashes. I also have a new seat back. Hope it all goes OK.
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

Paul - I was very excited when I got to the point of being able to nail the body panels on as it was such a milestone. The body is now primed and so are the side aprons and the passenger side fenders.... it may just look like a car someday. Wish I had more time to work on it but I will get there.

Martin - that seat back looks pretty darn good for a rattle can. I would be very pleased if that was on my car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration