Stevens Piston Aligner Mandrill Dimensions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stevens Piston Aligner Mandrill Dimensions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

I am restoring a Stevens Universal Piston Alignment tool.

Stevens1

When I purchased the tool it did not come with any of the mandrills the connecting rod and piston assembly were mounted on. I will be machining new mandrills that are standard, .010, and .020 undersized for a Model T and I know what those diameter dimensions are. I do not know what the over all length of the mandrill is suppose to be. The major diameter of the mandrill is 1-3/8 inches, but I do not know the length of the major and minor diameters of the mandrills.

I am hoping someone has a Stevens Piston Alignment tool with its original mandrills, and can tell me the overall length of the mandrill, as well as the lengths of major and minor diameters.

Thanks in advance,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Trent,I have an original (as far as I know) set,in what is left of the wooden box. Some are marked Stevens and some not.They do have the size marked on them.I can get you length,etc. If needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Jack,

I would appreciate it if you could measure one and tell me the overall length, and the lengths of the 1-3/8 diameter section, and the length of the minor diameter that was machined for the connecting rod so I can accurately make mine.

Thanks,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

NOW I see how the "Sea Lion" worked!! The light bulb goes off! Thanks for posting that Trent!
(no I don't have one or parts of one, just saw them in other postings)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Trent, I must apologize for my being so slow. It is very cold here and I just now came in from a cold barn ,after getting some measurements. Over all length is 10 inches.On the one I did the most measuring on,one side is 5 inches and the other is 4 3/4. The center cut area is 1/4 inch. looking at these with a mike,they are all over the place. Some only had a center of 1/8 inch They appear to be double ended so you can do twice as many different size rods cut? I don't yet understand how it all works and I don't have a jig. Mine are a bit rusty(as found) and difficult to read the markings on some The one marked 1 3/8 measured 5 1/32 on each end with the slot cut 0.132 wide. HTH. Stevens is stamped on the end of several .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Thank you.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration