How were bodies originally painted?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How were bodies originally painted?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

I'm just curious how the T bodies were originally painted? Hand brush, dipped, roller..?? Sort of a silly question, but I'm curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

I know paint was "flowed on" on early models something like using a water hose to apply the paint. other than that I dont know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/195499.html?1299775461

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/126638.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Reading the old postings linked above in Mark's and Robert's posts about how the paint was sprayed on with hoses reminds me of a story dad told. He had spent considerable time and effort restoring his 1926 roadster pickup with the end goal to put it in the competitions and to achieve the national first prize. When the judges finally came around, dad was so nervous, but he was ready for them. Being a lawyer, dad had all of his materials and books ready to handle any of their questions or issues. One of the judges started looking at the perfect paint job and seemed to really focus on it. Dad asked if there was anything he could do to help allay any concerns. The judge said the paint wasn't right. Dad immediately went into lawyer mode and defended the work that he'd done and tried to convince the man that it was right and just like the cars that rolled off the assembly line. The man said, "no, it doesn't look like the cars that came off the assembly line. It looks too good. The cars that rolled off the assembly line had streaks and runs from paint being applied by a hose. Your car looks great, but it doesn't look like those that came off the line." Dad achieved the prize he was seeking, but that brief discussion had him momentarily concerned until the man told him it looked great.

I seem to recall, but can't be certain, that dad also said this man told him that the paint would drip off the cars into a water trough under the cars. Ford would skim off the old paint that had collected on the surface of the water and use it another day. Maybe someone can verify whether there is any truth to that story (my recollection may be flawed about that point).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Well the bit about collecting the paint in a trough certainly seems to be true if you look at the photo in Mark's link. Whether it was reused or not I could not say. I would think that would certainly be a good argument for the single color option though. Unless you had multiple body painting lines, a single color for one line would potentially allow you to reuse anything that was collected in the troughs. Plus it would be an awful wasteful way to paint if you just disposed of all of that extra paint that drips of into the troughs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

When I removed the original interior door panels from my car, I found these runs in the original paint from when it was flowed on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Yes, there was a time period when the paint was flowed on with something like an old garden hose sprinkler. And yes, it did flow down into trays to be re-used.The final coat on open cars was actually done with the upholstery installed! This is how the originally perfectly smooth, no orange-peeled finishes were done. Unfortunately, that shiny finish soon oxidized to a much duller finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Rick, if you're into runabouts/roadsters, the (I believe very original '19-'22) trunk/turtle deck that came along with my '18 was probably flow painted as well.
Runs are all over the place on the inside and some puddling and a couple of runs on the outside. The diagonal streaks on the top/sides are water streaks.

turtle deck

Duane

(Message edited by Duey_C on February 04, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration