Update. After 2 years, I got my T started today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Update. After 2 years, I got my T started today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

I posted the update on my original thread (link below), but it ran its' course and nobody read it. Thanks to everyone who helped me get my T going. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/717953.html?1486146719

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Congratulations! It's always a good day when a T comes back to life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 04:10 am:

Patrick fantastic, now the fun really begins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:02 am:

Jim, congrats on getting it started. Our T has sat for probably close to 5 years now and I really need to get it out. Every time I start to make progress, life/work/house projects seem to get in the way. But I'm closer than I have ever been now.

As far as no one responding to threads, it kind of funny here, but a lot of people do actually read them, the just don't post to them. Found this out when Ron and I were piloting the doodlebug threads, so I understand the lack of response and people "seem" to not care---but they really do.

Any progress made to put a T back on the road is good progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Thanks Chad. My only concern was that no one responded to my comment that I thought the generator setting was good in that, the ammeter showed that the generator was charging at 6v with the lights on and discharging at about 4v with the lights off. I guess the fact no one responded was a good thing because if it was not a good setting, I would have heard about it. LOL! Gonna give her a bath and detail her today. Thanks again. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 11:10 am:

By the way, doesn't an ammeter, by definition, measure AMPERES of charge or discharge, rather than volts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

Jim did you mean charging at 4 amps with the lights off? If it's discharging with the lights off that's not good. Generally speaking I was always taught you'd like to have amperage in a range of 2-4 with the lights off after initial starting and as close to 0 on the positive side with them on. I believe I've read on the forum anything close to or above 8 amps will shorten the life of the generator. It's been a while since I've used a cutout so I may be wrong. Years back I switched to the Regan's FP voltage regulator. Took a little getting use to because you don't see the amp meter working after the battery is fully charged. When I first switched I bought a rebuilt generator from Ron Patterson that came preset and the Fun Projects voltage regulator. After starting the Tudor with both installed I noticed that initially I saw the amp meter indicate it was charging and then suddenly it stopped so I figured something was wrong. So I called Jon to see what was up. Apparently nothing was up and it was working as it should and that my battery was just fully charged. With the lights on I initially would have a discharge and then it would go back to just above 0. That 6 volt battery has been in the car for over 6 years and is still as strong as ever, where with the cutout I'd be getting a new battery every few years. Good luck and have fun. By the way your coupe is really nice looking and it's perfect weather in Florida to be driving the wheels off of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Jim, just like Chad says, life/work/house projects keep getting in the way. Had mine for 3 years and still not on the road. A few small things to fix and should be driving by late spring I hope.The car has not been on the road for about 50 years or more.
This is one good site for anyone who wants to work on their T.
Spend too much time in the mornings reading the threads, do enjoy most of them. Some are a blast once someone gets their knickers in a twist.
PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Jim,

I'm glad you got your 1926 Coupe running and that you discovered it was the carburetor that was causing the problems.

Very few of us have time to read all the postings. And in many cases, like today, I was not planning to touch the key board. I was just reading the forum while I was "icing down" my knee after some physical therapy. That isn't what kept me from typing -- it was the popcorn I was enjoying. Only the fingers on my left hand were covered with butter/sticky stuff so I could easily click the mouse and read the next entry. But your entry prompted me to go wash my hands (ok -- after I finished the popcorn...) so I could type this.

So yes, as others have said -- many have probably read and just not had the time to answer. Others haven't had the time to read. And most of us have had periods when our T was not ready to drive. And some have never yet had a period when their T was drive-able. And some have not yet found their T that they will drive one day. But we all enjoy this hobby and wish each other well.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Jim: I have to tell you "I am proud of you". It took me about somewhere between 10 and 15 years to get mine going. I had the engine rebuilt, installed all the other parts needed to make a running engine and kinds lost interest! Something kicked me in gear and then the action started and the last thing I had to do was have the coils rebuilt and it ran like a charm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:30 am:

Jim P, I am glad to see you posting often again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Thanks everyone. The days here in Florida have been perfect and I've driven my coupe everyday this weekend and am enjoying the heck out of her.

John T. You're right. As much as I proof read, I still get those senior moments. Just sitting at a standstill while running, my ammeter shows a charge of 4v to 6v with the lights off and a discharge of 4v with the lights on.

Hap. Sorry about your knee. I have two bad knees as a result of running 3 miles per day during my 4.5 years in the Marines and a broken leg suffered in the Corps. I will most likely need them replaced at some time in the near future. The silver lining is that, luckily, I have VA disability which allows me to get medical treatment at the VA and makes it so I never had to deal with Obamacare. The VA hospital I go to in Tampa is better than any civilian hospital and best of all, it is free. I also get disability from Social Security due to my Military disability.

By the way. Brent Mize did my generator and did a fantastic job. It came set and ready to install, so that when I started the car, it needed no adjusting. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 03:55 am:

Jim P, That VA is not "free". You EARNED it! Thank you my friend!
I am glad to see you here, and doing well.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration