Holley NH needle seat question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Holley NH needle seat question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

I've got a Holley NH carburetor and the seat won't screw in. The old seat wasn't there. It has threads but they are too large. It is supposed to be a 1/4-32 tap size I believe. A 1/4 -28 tap screws in easy, the seat goes in all the way flush so the threaded part slides into the too large threads. I tried an old seat from another NH and it does the same thing. I've got all the parts, everything cleaned, brass plugs drilled out and tapped for plugs and if the seat won't screw in then I guess I have a really clean trot line weight. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

I had an NH straight thru with the same problem, I bought a 1/4-32 tap and fixed the carburetor. No doubt someone tapped it 1/4-28 doing some sort of repair over the years.

1/4 - 32 taps and dies are all over eBay, Amazon and any place good machine tools are sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

OK thanks Royce. I've got a set of taps but no odd sizes. I'll get one and give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Well no hardware store has a 1/4-32 tap around here, no good tool stores open on Saturday. I can order one, but I wonder if there is enough metal left? That 1/4-28 tap seemed to screw in, but it seems like the whole threaded section of the seat falls through. Would a tap act like a knurling tool for valve guides and restore the threads? I guess I could find another carburetor body but I wish I had checked this before I did a bunch of work on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

If the hole is stripped out you can install a 1/4 - 32 heli coil. I just got a. Ew kit in the mail today for exactly this reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

I had one that was like that.Ended up making an insert to fix it,but I wouldn't do it again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration