Seat Springs Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Seat Springs Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

I am going to attempt to reupholster my 1916 Model T myself. I have the cartouche upholstery kit.

Is this a good Idea? (I am 17 years old with little upholstery experience.)

My rear seat springs that came with my car measure 45'' by 16,'' and about 5''deep.

Is this correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

You can do it! Buy or borrow a real upholstery staple gun (pneumatic), it allows you to hold the material in position with one hand and staple with the other. Do the seat bottom first, it is easier and will be good practice.

Buy some extra cotton stuffing, my experience with a Cartouche kit was it didn't have enough stuffing to fill out the pleats in the back cushion.

Here is a link to a video on the Classtique website:

https://www.classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php/classtique-upholstery/installatio n-videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Skyler, I'm by no means experienced at this kind of thing, but I think with enough reading and researching you could do it yourself. I helped redo the seats in my Model TT, I did the ones in my 70 Mustang. Just take your time and enjoy learning something new. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

You can afford to take more time than the guy at the upholstery shop can. There is a great deal of satisfaction in doing it yourself. If someone here can't confirm the size, Snyder's makes them and would probably be glad to give their dimensions.
I did some of that when I was your age and it was very rewarding for years.
I would say go for it and good luck.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Yeah, definitely get more stuffing. Most all of the ones I've seen on this forum look like someone threw the upholstery over a yard bench. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Thank you for all your encouragement and advice regarding my upholstery question.

I am going to go for it.

I will let you know how it comes out.

Thank you again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration