Shortening speedometer cable

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Shortening speedometer cable
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

I have a steel Stewart speedometer cable that is 67" long. According to Russ it is typically 63" long. Has anyone out there ever cut through the wound steel cable and reinstalled the crimped end. How does one do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Yes, I have. I cut a bit above the end so that I have something to grab to peel the cable out of the inside of the end piece. Sometimes it is soldered on too, in which case you have to pull with vise grips while heating with a MAP gas torch.

When you get the end off then you need to clean out any solder, and also pass a mandrel through to straighten out crimps. You can make a bullet size mandrel from a bolt by rounding off the end.

I solder them back on because that way grease can't leak out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

I haven't tried this on a speedometer cable, but when I need to cut a brake cable for one of my bicycles, I first cut a short piece of heat shrink tubing and slip it over the cable area I want to cut, then heat shrink it in place. The tubing holds the strands together so that they don't unwind at the fresh cut. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Ok I'll cut the steel case first ... secure the end piece ... and pull out the remainder with vise grips and possibly a torch. Then reform the end and tin it ... then assemble crimp and solder. Got it.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Are you talking about the inner drive cable or the outer housing? I would cut the inner drive cable if needed, but I would not cut the outer housing for 4 inches.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration