1913 Touring body number question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1913 Touring body number question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

I just purchased a pretty nice 1913 older restoration touring. The number under the seat is very clear and starts with the letter "M". Just curious, what does the letter represent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

It may stand for Monroe. What letter is stamped on the seat riser?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Mike when anyone asked why your number under the seat starts with "M" tell them that Ford made special cars that had the first letter of the owners name stamped in it for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Ken, the number on the seat riser starts with an "M". Right along the upper front edge, right under the seat cushion, clear as it can be. According to Bruce McCauley's book it was the last car produced on July 18, 1913. I intend to give this car to my son who by pure coincidence was born on July 18, 1995. Very fun thing!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:38 am:

The M is indeed Monroe. Not too many of them around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:56 am:

I should have said heel panel. Usually a single letter is embossed in that vertical metal panel,

an "M" for Monroe. Also, a "B" for Beaudette.

I have a 1914 Touring with a Beaudette body with the "B" is on the rear heel panel.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Larry, what or where was Monroe? I think my car has spent most of its time in the northern part of Michigan. It appears to be pretty original with few replaced parts and some accessories. A friend of mine is picking it up from the seller and storing it for me till better weather. My friend has driven the car after getting it running after being stored since the late 70s. We are planning to tour with it in the Indian River area before bringing it back to Iowa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

My 14 Touring has an Fxxxxx number on the wood behind the heel panel, I have been told it indicates a Body by Fisher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

All I know is I have a friend with a 1913 Monroe bodied roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Here's an article about the company that produced the body for Ford: http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/monroe/monroe.htm

(Ford didn't start producing any higher percentage of their bodies inhouse until the 1920's)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration