Next project - driveshaft and rearend

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Next project - driveshaft and rearend
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Now that my engine runs it's time to move to the next phase. I don't have THE rear axle manual yet. I have a new driveshaft and new pinion gear. Brass/bronze thrust washers already in the rearend.
When assembling the driveshaft , with pinion gear into the housing how does one check the clearance between the ring gear and the pinion gear? If shims are required are they just extra gaskets between the spool and the housing? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

Tommy, you can't make the final settings with just the pinion gear. You need to set the lash between the ring and pinion before you install the two housings together. Here is a pretty good thread to get you thinking about what to do until your book arrives. Best of luck. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/78571.html?1232164022

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Butler on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

Interestingly, I have been reading up on that just today as a family member put my '15 axle back together when I wasn't around,after I broke a pinon gear. A mis-adjusted ring/pinon gear could have been part of the reason it snapped in the first place (that and an apparent casting flaw).

Fahnestock has an excellent write up in September, October and December of 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:11 am:

Good timing Tommy. I am ready to set gear lash and fit the last thrust washer. Thanks for the link John ,thats just the info I needed. Waiting on driveshaft. Having a buddy face the driveshaft bushing at his shop. I went with the fun projects pinion set up. Very easy to do. Good luck Tommy ,I will be following along and learning .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration