1911 pinstriping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1911 pinstriping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

I am researching for a May 1911 car. There are plenty of new and period pictures that show body pinstriping. So I feel confident on that topic.

Was the fender pinstriping mid bead line or inside the line?

What would be typical frame striping for this tine period?

I am a returning Model T guy from HCCA 2 cylinder Buick. I advertised for a car here and found one from another forum member, which is awesome. Drove my last model T on tour 30 years ago. Starting touring at 16! Glad to be back. Feels like I've come home.

Amazing resource here. I look forward to the ride.

Don
Spokane,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Pin striping was never on the beads, always next to the beads on fenders and bodies. On fenders it will be inside the bead.

Wheel fellows are pinstriped both inside and out. Some have been seen with a double stripe, others single. If you are trying to win a Stynoskki prize I suggest that you make a book of documentation showing original photos. A recent entrant lost some points on pinstriping even though he had done it exactly like original photos. Problem was, he did not bring his documentation to the judging event.

Moral of the story: documentation is everything. Word of mouth is nothing. Photos of restored cars mean nothing.

Pin striping on the frame is something I would be surprised to see on a 1911. Here's a very early 1911 torpedo runabout that shows no signs of any pin striping on the frame or front axle. Yet it has double pin striping on the wheel fellows, and the fenders and body are fully striped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Thanks Royce!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Which model t are you restoring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Which model t are you restoring? gschrepp@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

George,
Not restoring, just preserving and returning as many details as possible on a 1911 Touring.

Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Don-

Are you researching for the 1911 touring on your profile picture? Nice car.
On 1911 touring, there was no pin stripes on the fenders.
No stripes on the frame or axles either.

Note there is no striping on the flat part of the body below the sear risers (including on the back.)
No "boxes" on the hood. Just a single stripe up the front, along the hinge, and down the back.

If you need any other stripe details, contact me.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

My preserved 11 touring has no stripes at all, then again it doesn't have much paint either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Poffenroth on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Keith - great info. Thank you. It is the car in the picture. Hasn't quite made it to Spokane yet. Something about 3 feet of snow. I have some photos you posted on side curtains set aside in a folder as I want to build a set too.

Phillip - More great info. I found a picture of your car when you pulled it out. What a great car!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration