Opinion on tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Opinion on tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 12:33 am:

Does anyone have an opinion (I know, I know!!) on Wards Riverside Clincher tires sold by Lucas Classic Tires? I'm looking to buy a complete set for very light driving-- to the neighborhood coffee/ice cream shops and the odd parade or two... stuff like that there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:37 am:

Only done a few miles on mine. They were a swine to fit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:23 am:

Jerry I have some 30 x 3 Non Skid Firestones that would be fine for what driving you plan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:36 am:

As all the clincher tires come from the same factory, I expect the Wards tires are no better or worse than any other brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:16 am:

They're great. Except for the white ones! However, now that we're on the subject, I'd like to take the time to give kudos to Langs as well as Lucas..long story short, there's a full set of new white tires from the "latest batch" from the factory in Vietnam to replace my ugly brown tires. Probably have same thing happen, but at least everyone was on board to swap 'em out and see what happens. Ashley at Lang's was great and very patient and helpful. Great folks all the way around. I also have some black Wards tires that are doing very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Tim,
Can you provide pictures and a longer description of your exchange process, and why Lucas expects this new batch to be better?
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Gene, I'm out of town but I'll contact you soon. Thanks, Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Michael..I'll try to send a pic here from my phone. Most of the "thinking" is really in the form of a wing & a prayer as there is limited evidence that some of the new batch may not turn as bad. No promises. I first contacted Langs with pics & wonderful Ashley, bless her, took it from there. Next week I am to send the old tires back, directly to Lucas. They provided the return label & will send the shipper here to pick 'em up. Well I see simple resize put it sideways..good thing its round..really doesn't matter..ha ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

45 years ago the choice of tires was much smaller, but the tire everyone liked the most was the Wards Riverside 30x3-1/2. They had a reputation for wearing like iron. They were also, for the time, relatively inexpensive.

However, there are no tires, either past or current manufacture, that will wear well if the front axle is bent or the front end is out of alignment. When I bought my '25 Roadster it came with a nice set of original Wards Riversides all the way around. But over the first two years of driving the car, the tread on the right front tire was all but ripped off the casing. The other three were fine, but the right front was a problem. To this day I still do not know exactly what the problem was, but I eventually solved the problem by replacing the entire front axle assembly with a newly restored one which had a straightend font axle axle, perches and spindles. The problem went away.

My advise is before you go out and buy a new set of shoes for your car, make sure the front end is straight and true in all dimensions (let me hasten to add that eyeballing it it's not good enough). Otherwise your nice new front tires can quickly become unusable.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Just like your modern car tires, Balance is important for good tire life providing you drive your car.

Dynabeads inside your tubes is a great way to always have your tires in perfect balance as you drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Jerry,

If you (or anybody else) will send me a private message with an e-mail address, I'll use it to send you a fairly comprehensive article I wrote about clincher tires and comparing them to each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Tim,
I was shocked to see the discoloration of your tires. It is great that Lang's stepped up and were your advocate to Lucas. There is clearly a major systemic problem here. Perhaps we can start a "White Tires Matter" group in order to get the tire vendors to fix this problem.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Bob, I sent the PM. Thanks, Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Michael...I'll keep y'all posted down the road once I mount the new one's. But gotta admit FWIW I bought a can of aerosol UV protectant made for outdoor furniture from Amazon. Goes on nice and clear, did a test run on one of my "original" wore out white tires that's still sorta white, and no discoloration, so you can bet I'm gonna spray 'em good before mounting. So IF they don't discolor, well, we'll never really know for sure why!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I buy from langs. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

If new tires currently available all come from the same manufacturer, the implication is they are essentially the same, except for the tread patterns. If the new Wards Riverside tires are notably hard to mount, are they harder to mount than the other tread styles offered ?

FWIW, over 50 years ago I bought Wards Riverside 30x3-1/2 tires for my T, and found they were an absolute SOB to mount !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Oleson on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

I mounted a new set of 5 ward riverside tires two years ago.
I had the proper tire irons and used some dish soap on the bead of the tires and I did not have any trouble mounting the tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:06 am:

No problems mounting. For whatever reason, I got quite a few more miles out of the 30 x 3 than the 30 x 3 1/2 tires on the rear (I know, too much wheelspin). I am sticking with the Wards on the front, and Excelsior tires on the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Bob Coiro's paper on tires is an excellent source of tire information anyone with tire questions should read. It ought to be made available on the website. MHO

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration