ID make of distributor and proper timing procedures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: ID make of distributor and proper timing procedures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:17 am:

Can anyone identify the make of this distributor? I would like to find the install manual for factory instructions on timing. If you know this brand lease let me know… In the meantime - I have read a bunch of threads on timing distributors and have done the following: set spark rod all the way up, removed #1 plug, cranked to see #1 TDC, verified #1 valves are closed, set rotor to #1, connected battery, grounded plug on head, cranked to verify spark slightly past TDC.
Just wanted to check with you folks before I give her the go…

Happy Motoring!- Humble Oil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Sounds like you got the timing right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:49 am:

That is a Performance T Parts distributor made by the late Ralph Reeder I believe, using a Bosch modern distributor probably a Vw 009.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:01 am:

(Jerry VanOoteghem wrote this in a thread many moons ago)

First, if the there is as much slop as you say then you're wasting your time, (or should I say timing).

If the wear is not that bad then you're on the right track with what you've done so far.

With the spark lever pulled down about 3/4" and the engine at TDC, remove the distributor cap.

Also, remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and locate the end of it about 1/8" -1/4" away from the engine block.

Loosen the timing arm from the distributor body so that you can turn the distributor head freely with your hand. (Be careful that when you're turning the head, the timing arm is free enough from the head so that the spark lever does not move from its 3/4" setting.)

Turn on the ignition.

Initially, turn the head clockwise until the points are closed. Then rotate the head counter clockwise until the points just open. You should know you're there because this should cause the coil to fire and you should see and hear a spark from the coil wire to ground.

You now have your timing set. Lock down the timing arm being careful not to upset the position of the distributor head or the spark lever.

You're now certain that with the spark lever at 3/4" down, your engine will be at TDC. Moving the lever up is certain to retard your spark and leaving it at that setting is certain to advance the spark if the distributor has a centrifical advance. If there is no centrifical advance then pulling the spark down further will definetly advance the spark.

Either way, when driving the car set the spark lever where the engine runs best and gives the most power. Some guys disconnect the spark lever when using distributors, trusting fully in the automatic advance. I don't believe in that. I want the ultimate control over my spark timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Thanks Ed - I was able to locate the installation manual for the distributor as well. I have gone through all the steps and am ready to fire her up once I get the rest back together (had hogs head off to tap one of the bendix cover screw holes someone had epoxied a stud into that was leaking profusely). Since I had that off, I replaced the bands as well with some wood liners from Jim Guinn - nice guy... Thanks again for the advice! Hope to be on the road again this week!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration