Rear axle rebuild question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle rebuild question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:37 am:

I installed fun projects pinion set up. With the sealed bearing, will this stop any oil from rear main getting into rear axle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:36 am:

It will certainly help.

One key to reducing leakage from the engine rear main into the driveshaft is to pack the U-joint housing ball full (FULL) of grease via the large grease cup. The grease will act like a dam, significantly reducing migration of engine oil down the driveshaft tube.

While you're under there, give the small grease cup (for the driveshaft front bearing) a few turns / pumps. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Thanks Mark. The rear axle was not over full when I tore it down so it probably isnt an issue. I think the clunking noise I was hearing may have been the fact there was no pin in U joint. The driveshaft bushing was warn about 1/8 inch in the face. Bad shape ! I will pack ball with red grease about 80% .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

When you get done, install that pin in the u-joint. Will keep the U-joint from moving back and forth on the drive shaft and in and out of the tail shaft any more then it has to.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration