Clutch and Handbrake Issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Clutch and Handbrake Issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Allen on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:56 am:

I pulled the floorboards yesterday and the transmission cover.

There seemed to be a lot of slop in the handbrake and the clutch pedal and I located where the slop is coming from.

One of the photos below shows the screwdriver pointing to the attachment point where the slop is. I'm guessing this will either need a new pin or need to be replaced altogether. Can someone tell me what this is called so I can look it up on Lang's site?

The other photo shows the screwdriver pointing to the cam looking device that the handbrake interacts with. When the handbrake is pulled back, it pushes on this cam and makes a terrible screeching metal-on-metal noise. Is this supposed to be just two pieces of metal rubbing on each other? Is there some sort of lubricant that's supposed to be applied here?

Here's a link to the blog I've created to document this car's revival.

https://barnfindmodelt.wordpress.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Wear
So I would start by replacing the L link and clevis pin and adjust bolt
How are the clutch figures?
The other thing I see is the cam bolt way long

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:48 am:

A little oil and grease will get rid of the squeaks......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:54 am:

That adjustment screw looks too long, usually caused by mis-adjustment of the three screws on the clutch fingers. The three screws must be set to give 13/16 between the clutch collar and the pressure plate. This should result in a 2" spring length. I usually find the the screws are in to far to compensate for a weak clutch spring, resulting in incorrect settings throughout the system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

The when the cam on the parking brake cross shaft come in contact with the end of the screw, it only has to move the screw up far enough to pull back the collar to release the clutch. I would suggest turning it over so the wider head rides on the cam not the end. Also it needs a lock nut.
I suggest pressing down on the low pedal as the lever is pulled back if you can, to prevent any more wear of the cam.
The 2 inches is for checking the spring strength. Lang's sells a in car kit to help compensate for a weak spring.
Adjust all three fingers to a base line of 13/16 to start with. (if the car runs and can be driven); If the clutch slips, remove cotter pins, adjust each finger 1/2 a turn install cotter pins and test drive repeat till you get a good clutch, no slipping. Then adjust the linkage and screw to compensate for any changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

The part that the bolt is screwed into looks to be bent quite a bit to me. The bolt should be much closer to 90 degrees with the cam. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Notice in the diagram posted above that the link between the clutch pedal and the transmission clutch lever on the hogs head seems to be backward on your car. The clevis pin goes on the end toward the transmission. That link and clevis pin can be replaced with a new one available through the parts distributors. If it is still loose, the hole in the lever and in the clutch pedal might need to be welded up and re-drilled to get a proper fit.

The link is adjusted to where the clutch will be in neutral with the pedal pressed down. That bolt should be adjusted so that the cam will hold the lever in the same position as it is in when the clutch pedal is pushed into the neutral position. Follow the instructions included with the diagram posted above.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Looks like all the moving parts around the clutch linkage needs a little oil and grease. It will sure make things work a little easier. There are a few things that need adjusting as the other posters have noted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Does the cam on the control shaft have a notch cut into it where the bolt rides, or is it just my imagination?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

No notch from the factory - decades of wear from the bolt could wear a notch, though. This is one area that benefits from frequent checking and application of heavy grease. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

And turning the bolt over! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

Or maybe the big clutch spring is broke, or also pin in clutch piddle shaft is broke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Your more pressing issue is that your brake band is totally worn out and you're cutting a groove in your brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Ain't there any oil in the motor? Looks dry. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Perhaps Don's latest pic were taken BEFORE Velma's engine was running again. It's been about 50 years for that engine I think... ?
I even cringed about the "dry look" until I thought about it. :-)
Yep Don, You have a groove in your brake drum.
Guys, how bad is that groove?

Oil and grease every moving part if it don't leak out and lube it on its own. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration