Stewart Speedometer Swivel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stewart Speedometer Swivel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Does anyone know what cars a 1913 model Stewart 2 1/2 to 1 LHD fits? I thought someone posted this in an older post but I can't find it again

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

LHD 's were used on TT trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Canadian and other British empire vehicles, Japan, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Howard,
Isn't a 1913 a 2 1/2 to 1 right hand and 1959 a 2 1/2 to 1 left hand.
I don't know what you mean by "1913 2 1/2 to 2 LHD"? Are you meaning LH ( left hand) for left front wheel mounting or somehow LHD ( left hand drive) meaning where the steering column is mounted?

The 1959 which turns opposite from the 1913 goes on the left front wheel and was used by Chevrolet and others.

Jack,
Do you have any documentation or pictures that show a speedometer drive on the left front of an American TT Ford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

I read it some where.At my age,you can't expect me to remember everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Layden, you are probably right. I'm not up on these. I was offered a Stewart 1913 RHD and another unmarked one that was identical but for the other side so I was just checking to see what it would fit.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

You can swap the gears from a RHD to a LHD swivel and make them the opposite of the way the case was stamped by Stewart. At this late date you can't believe what's stamped on the case any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Stewart called the "1913" a RHD as was said above.

Here is a 1913 RHD Stewart swivel,

If you extend the pinion gear end and flexible shaft connection end as shown, both ends of a "RHD" Stewart will turn in the same direction when twisted. The LHD (1959 for instance) will turn opposite.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Pay attention guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Next question. The 1913 Stewart is driven by which front wheel, left or right? I believe it is for the right wheel.
If the 1913 Stewart swivel is fitted to the other side wheel for the drive, will that allow the speedo to operate as it should?
If the swivel input and output shafts rotate in the opposite direction, can such a swivel be used in place of the 1913, if fitted to the left front wheel?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:51 am:

The rotation of the Stewart speedometer drive is from right to left when mounted on the dash. The front right wheel rotation driving forward is reversed with the 1913.

The 1959 mounted on the left front wheel duplicates the same cable rotation direction at the head.

Do not use a 1913 on a front left wheel as you will be driving the speedometer backwards. Backing out the driveway is actually driving the head backwards but it is slow and is OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:20 am:

What Ken says is true if the markings match the guts inside the swivels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:24 am:

You can check both rotation (RHD or LHD) and ratio (2-1/2 to 1) with the swivel loose as in the above photo.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration