Outstanding Product Recommendation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Outstanding Product Recommendation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

I detailed my Coupe yesterday with a product I had never used before. Up until yesterday, I had always used Turtle Wax brand, compound and wax, but from now on, I will use nothing but "Meguiars" on my T. I have posted a few pictures of the results to show how it brings out the beauty of the graceful lines of the car.

My car had sat for two years in the garage, but due to neglect, was covered with dust and had begun to oxidize. I should note that this car was last painted 22 years ago in 1995 and as you can see, Meguiars did an outstanding job.

I started out by squirting off the dust with a spray hose then did the spokes and tires with the "Wheel and Tire cleaner". As I sprayed the spokes, some overspray went through the spokes and got on the front axle and the grease and oil just melted off, so I also used it on the front and rear axles. After spraying it on, I used a 4" paint brush to gently take off the dirt, mildew, road grime and grease, then rinsed it off. Since it took off the mold and mildew so well, I decided to try it on the deep grained vinyl sun visor and top with great results. I just sprayed it on and, using the same 4" paintbrush, going with the grain, the top quickly became a greenish brown as the years of, dirt, dust, mold and mildew dissolved away and was rinsed off. I then compounded the body and radiator shell with the Ultimate Compound to take of minor scratches and oxidation, then using the Ultimate pre-waxing Polish, I brought it to an even higher shine. Then the Ultimate wax, which gave an incredibly deep, highly reflective shine. Lastly, I sprayed on the Ultimate Black Tire Coating and painted it on using a 2" paint brush so as not to get it on the rims and spokes, which made the tires black and new looking.

Try it. I think you will be very pleased.

Jim Patrick

I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Jim..looks fantastic. I have used McGuires on all my moderns forever. I do, however, use Wizards on the T's and the A and just love that stuff too. Polish once a year, then just follow up all season long with their detailer called Mist 'n Shine. Amazing what these companies have figured out what can be done with chemicals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Excellent Jim when are you coming round to do my one ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Meguiar's products are outstanding. I use their entire line on my vehicles, from the carpet cleaner to the Ultimate compound to remove swirl marks. Great stuff and not terribly expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

In the 60's and 70's I did quite a few sports and classic car restorations. The guys at the shop where I bought my paint and body supplies turned me onto Meguiars products, mainly because they contained no silicone. I don't know if that's still the case, but their products back then were considered the best one could use.

Just one question, did your kitty mind being used as a polishing buffer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Thanks guys. N. Mayer. You don't need my help. Yours looks great as it is! I like the historically accurate factory fresh Fordor color. Is the interior also historically accurate (light grey with red stripes?)?

I was going to set the products on the hood to illustrate the reflective qualities of Meguiars, but no matter how much I tried to balance them up there, they just slid off. LOL. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Lookin' Good, Jim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

John, Ollie didn't mind it too much. It was when he tried to lick off the residue that he realized his mistake in allowing me to catch him. LOL! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Wow, Jim you certainly did a nice job and the car probably looks better than ever in its life!

Caution about using a wheel cleaner on other parts of the car. Many of those are pretty harsh containing some acid content which is ok for most wheels but maybe not so great on paint and other places on an old car.

The one that is for alum wheels is a little less aggressive but I think that any of them are only supposed to be one the wheel for a few seconds.

I have to also give a plug to the products made by Mothers Polishes and Waxes. They also make a superior product and have been very generous supporting many of our National and Regional Tours donating buckets of products and goodie bags full of samples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Thanks Gene. Yes, you're right. This is the best that she's has ever looked in her 91 years on this earth (in March).

My Dad, who was born on February 8, 1926 and was instrumental in helping me to pick her up from Tampa, FL when I first bought her at the age of 16 in 1970 for $600.00. says, "I wish I was in such good condition". LOL! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

And don't forget the interior dash, nickel work, steering spider and window frames. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

WAY too much bling going on here. Where is the dust and rust ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Mother's bought Meguiar's a couple of years ago....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:53 am:

Burger, you should have seen her last week before I detailed her. 2 years worth of dust, dirt, rust and oxidation enough to make you happy :-). I like her much better now, all cleaned up. To each his own, I guess. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Meguiar's is great, I've been using Griot's personally for some time though. I do a thorough polish once a year, then just use their detailer and a waterless wash product they have the rest of the year. I also have a 42 Ford Sedan with original paint that has worn thin in places. I try not to polish it at all, just the detailer.

My brother-in-law always give me a hard time about spending that time on the T (he has T's and A's), but to me its therapeutic, plus I like the smell...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Floyd, I think you confused Mothers with 3M corp.

Meguiar's who are based here in Irvine, Ca. sold out to 3M back in 2008 I think. I believe back then they were about the third most popular of the car wax companies.

Mothers Waxes and Polishes is located very near my house here in Huntington Beach is still privately owned.

Both are amazing companies with remarkable products and supporters of car guys world wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Yes, Gene you are correct. It was indeed 3M that bought Meguiar's. Don't know how I got that twisted around but I sure did. All three are great products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

I have used Mirror Glaze by Meguairs for many years now. I started out buying what you did Jim. When it wasn't working I called their home office and they put me in touch with a local rep and company here that sells professional quality Meguairs products. They have been out a couple of times to our car club and talked to us about how to use Meguairs products. Great stuff! I would guess that most larger cities have a similar rep. It makes a good program for your chapter meetings.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:10 am:

I've used Meguairs for decades. I like the No7 glazing compound (just used it last night to polish up some early plastic organ keys)as you can paint right over it, no silicones! Plus, it's a great product, gives you that final shine for the Concourse (yeah, the car was being judged). Doesn't last forever, but for a while, Zowies!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration