Best Christmas Gift Ever!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Best Christmas Gift Ever!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

My wife told me a couple weeks before Christmas I wasn't allowed to get the mail... my gift was coming and she didn't want me to spoil it by finding it myself.

So, fast forward to the day before Christmas Eve, she hands me an envelope and says to open it. (She works for a hospital and was working CE/CD, so we did our family holiday the night before).

I opened it up to find she bought me a gift certificate that covered the Model T Drivers Ed at the Gilmore! Totally a surprise! And the best part is she has to take it too, as that's the only way she can get close enough to get pictures of me while I'm there.

So, that begs the question, is there anything I should do to 'study' beforehand? I've loved T's for years, but never driven one. I don't want to look like a total novice and do something 'dumb', which I know I will anyway. Anything stick out I should watch out for?

I'm so excited, but August is a long way off. LOL (She scheduled it on our anniversary, it will be 16 years married, 21 years together.)

Thanks in advance,

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Jason, there's tons of videos on YOUTUBE that can give you a few heads up on what to do. Here's a pretty good one to get you started. Best of luck. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfHMtgg2d8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

A great gift! Check out the u-tube videos for how to drive a Model T. Then listen to their instructions carefully at the class as the may have minor deviations on the process. Sounds like a great time to be had with the lessons and your wife. It's great that she appreciates and support your interest, sounds like a keeper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Remember the only way to keep, refine and enjoy what you will learn is to have one. May be your wife is preparing you for what's coming next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Thanks for the youtube tips! I knew some of that from our trips to Greenfield Village, but we never get to see them get 'started'. That was new to me!

I've wanted a T since the late '90's, and we are almost to the point where it may finally be a reality! ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Hi Jason,

Your wife sounds like a keeper. Congratulations on finding the right girl. Oh, and congratulations on the driving lesson. Enjoy. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Funny, .... I bought my TT and when it got close to the time for it to
be delivered, went to The Ranch and asked "How does one drive these
things ?" Mike Robison told me to get behind the wheel of his touring
and talked me through a mock run. We swapped spots and went down
the road about a mile with him showing me what he had just told me.

When we came to a wide spot in the road, he told me to swap places
again and I was to get us back to where we started. I was a little anxious,
but he insisted I could not break it, and we made it back without incident.
Been something of an exercise like learning to ride a bicycle, ... once you
get it down, it's like breathing. You do it without thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:40 am:

Thanks for the encouragement, Burger!

It's going to be a long wait until August. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 07:16 am:

Jason: just remember that pushing the "Clutch" all the way to the firewall does not dis-engage the transmission it puts you in low gear.... Don't ask how I know this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:13 am:

That would be a rookie mistake for sure! Thanks for the reminder! ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:54 am:

G.R. I know that one well .!! 1st drive over a mile from the house. Pulled up to a blind intersection where the others had right of way. Pushed clutch down and brake and the damn thing kept going. The harder I pushed on the clutch and brake the more it wanted to go. I realized what I was doing about 1/2 a car lenght into intersection. Scared the crap aout of me. Rooky mistake and lucky nothing was coming. Never made that mistake again. Pull it in neutral position now when stopping. Got to keep wits about you all the time . Nothing more relaxing once you get the hang of it.
Drive safe and often.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration