One source of noisy vibration found and alleviated

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: One source of noisy vibration found and alleviated
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

While detailing my interior today, I notice that whenever I would polish my steering tube, with the smallest touch, it would bang against the underside of dash and the top of the steering tube cradle. I located some 1/8" rubber sheeting I had and cut two pieces about 3/4" square and pulled down on the steering and inserted the rubber between the tube and the dash. Problem solved. My T is about 90% quieter and the harmonic vibration encountered when it got up to a certain speed is non-existent now, making for a much more pleasurable driving experience. Jim Patrick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Well done! I had an annoying rattle in my 1924 cut-off touring, it turned out to be the mixture control rod rattling in its firewall slot. I slit a short piece of rubber vacuum hose and slid it between the rod and slot, that was the end of that rattle! Now, on to the seventy seven other rattles. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Mark, I'll have to try that. My mixture control rod probably rattles too. I like the rubber vacuum hose tube idea. Sorta like a long grommet. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Enjoy it while you can. I've done that on my '27 several times in the past. The car always gets noisy again. I think someone is sneaking into my yard at night and is stealing my little rubber shims. I think I may have to trade my deaf dog for a hearing watch dog!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Terry, don't lose your dog. Instead of rubber, use a piece of black plastic cut from an oil container. It will do the same job quietening rattles, will last longer and will not attract rubber thieves.

Hope this save the pooch.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

I always turn my hearing aids off when driving the '19 Touring and all the rattles go away! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

I would think that vacuum tube would be too large diameter for the mixture rod hole. I pull the rod out and slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over it then shrink it down. It works great until it wears out. Then I need to do it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry P on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:04 am:

How about a short piece of that black plastic wire loom? It's corrugated and split already. The corrugations will stop it from falling out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:36 am:

I put a neoprene gromet (hardware store, electrical dept) in the choke rod hole ten years ago. It works great to stop the rattles... and the rubber thieves are too dumb to score my gromet!

Michael, I got hearing aids about 4 months ago. They really screwed up my nice quiet car. Somehow they messed up the quiet running in old videos also! Do you suppose we could charge the audiologist for car repair costs. The dang hearing aids also ruined my wife's car's water pump!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:57 am:

I had the same problem on my 27, but I used a piece of leather. I guess anything to tighten up that penetration helps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration