OT/OT-1956 Convertible Progress

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT/OT-1956 Convertible Progress
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 07:55 am:

Initial lineup of the front end sheet metal with some tweaking left to do. Very important working on any car, including Model T's is to make sure the sheet metal fits before painting. I have seen more instances where people have painted parts and expect it all to go together without doing this. It doesn't usually work that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:05 am:

Looks like a great project. Where in the world did you find that rig to hold up the front end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:37 am:

My Ford made some absolutely beautiful cars over its existence. 56s are among my favourites, but I gotta admit to being absolutely in love with 1957. Been searching for a 57 convertible or skyliner for a while

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:41 am:

James -- Look here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/714824.html?1484765470

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Gosh Dan, you have parts from quite a few different cars there. Way to go. Next time I'm in Hannibal, I expect a ride! I sure like your rocking chair fixtures. I've never seen them before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 06:13 am:

Larry, I have been collecting 56 parts for years including N.O.S. I am using the best on this car. On my other post on this car you mentioned it couldn't have originally been a New York car. It came from Florida when I bought it. Last night I deciphered the patent plate and discovered it was assembled at the San Jose Calif. plant so it started out as a western car, maybe near you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Here is a picture of my '56 Fairmont ...but not Ford of course. Really enjoyed the tour this summer Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Dan, probably that car was assembled in Fremont, California, about a five hour drive north of me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

Hmm, does this make it a "Johnny Cash" car? Except you've picked parts from all the same year. I toured the Fremont plant many decades ago, it was amazing to see how they built cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 06:50 am:

Ernie, Glad you enjoyed the tour this summer.

David, I don't know about it being a Johnny Cash car. My 53 Merc Convertible would be closer to that song, accept again they are the same year parts, and I paid for them. There are parts from 22 different cars that I used to put this Merc together. The two pictures show during and after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Wow Dan, beautiful work! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Dan, I take that back. Fremont was a GM plant. The Ford plant was in Milpitas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Thanks Mark, a lot of work went into that one.
Larry , you have me wondering. According to the patent code, R, the 56 chassis catalog lists San Jose as the assembly plant. The only other California plant listed is Long Beach. Was Milpitas built after 56? How far is San Jose from you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Ford final assembly operations were moved from the plant at Richmond Ca. that opened in 1931 to the final assembly plant at Milpitas Ca., near San Jose Ca., that opened around 1955.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

Ernie, My Fairmont was the larger MT-14; Flat front, slanted windshield and the sloping top, with two seats (Genuine Fairmont ones) like yours--no sitting sideways on the control board! Bought it at the SP Sacrament shops auction, and had it running in a day. Had a lot of fun with it for a time, then sold it when the hobby became to expensive for me, although I still have my M-9 belt drive car.
Dan, wow! amazing save. Your pics reminded me of when I had my '46 Ch##y club coupe. Found a spot on the Mc Cloud River Railroad where they had used junk cars for fill. Found a yellow convertible in pieces there, with a MINT front grill (which ended up on my car. Another friend hiked in (down the tracks was the only way in & out) and he tool the rest of the convertible out, mostly for the frame for his convertible (the convertible frames were different from the closed car frames, having some extra reinforcement in their design.
And yes, the Ford plant was in Milpitas, and Ford called it the San Jose plant. I went through that one back in grade school? I forget just when, and then the Fremont plant when it was the "Numie" (sp?) plant, jointly used by GM and Toyota when I was in College some decades later (I went back to college as an "older student" and was actually teaching the class I took through the plant. We also went to the PPG paint testing facility).
The Ford plant became a shopping mall for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

Kevin and David, thanks for the information,that clears it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Dan,

I know you'll make your '56 into a beautiful example of the original car. But it really does have a lot of charm just as it is.

And whether it's truly a "Johnny Cash Car" or not, you could display it with a picture board showing how it looks now and a recording of the famous song playing softly in the background. Make people smile.

Regarding your comments on body panel alignment prior to paint, I hear you loud and clear. I thought all the body fit on my '53 Merc was well within adjustment range when I drug it home, but sad to say I couldn't make it as nice as I hoped when putting it back together.

One of my Dad's brothers worked at the GM plant in Panorama city, CA. His job was to tweak door, hood & trunk fit before a car rolled out the door. His only tools were a few lengths of 2X4's. Whenever a family member bought a new car, they would take it to Uncle Raymond to "sharpen it up". I remember seeing him nearly lift a wheel off the ground with his longest 2X4 jammed under a partially opened door.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 06:24 am:

Dick, Your story on how GM adjusted their doors with a 2x4 made me laugh. I have done that myself. Ford did it a little more professionally. The attached illustration out of the 56 Ford shop manual, shows the tool they used

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration