USS Benham pulling a car from the sea-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: USS Benham pulling a car from the sea-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:09 am:

It says it is a Ford but I don't think it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:11 am:

USS Benham, DD 49 was a "four piper" but was not a flush deck destroyer. She came before that most famous type. Pre WWI

Interesting history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Benham_(DD-49)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:18 am:

No wonder there weren't very many big six Fords around they kept parking them at the bottom of the sea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Uh, guys, there's a dead body on the front of the car !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Naw. Guy has a safety rope. Looks like he is working on getting it secured for lifting. Note his arm is bent. Would be hanging straight down if he were dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Oops. Should be "safety line." Being an airdale I didn't use salty talk that much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:07 am:

I'm so glad to hear he's OK !! ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:26 am:

That's no Ford. I'm thinking EMF, with the diamond shape holes in the running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:58 am:

E-M-Fs had transaxles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Mitchell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

That guy may be alive, but he's going to get hurt if he keeps cranking with his right hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Ha! If I were on that ship when this thing was pulled up, that guy would be ME!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

I agree with Layden, That looks an awful lot like the underside of my 1908 Mitchell Model J. The thick steel perforated running boards are the same. Clutch is the same, and the odd lever linkage too. The Mitchell has the same crank case, for total loss oil system. The Mitchell is RHD, not sure this one is.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration