Old Photo - Model T Era Street Scene - Bellingham Washington Union Oil Gas Station-

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Model T Era Street Scene - Bellingham Washington Union Oil Gas Station-
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Leopold, "flatiron building,", and old courthouse are still there, don't recognize anything else. I'll have to go look. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Jay, I forgot to thank you for all the old pictures, I've always liked to look at old pics of most anything. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

I actually worked at a gas station on this corner in the '60's. That's the 1200 block of Railroad Avenue and East Chestnut Street. This gas station building was not there but it was replaced by a block building with two lube bays. My Dad operated a Tavern called the "Diamond Tavern" at 1309 Railroad Avenue, just a block up the street to the right of the picture I also worked at a Shell station on the corner of State Street and Chestnut, just a block from here and kitty corner from the Herald Building. My dad used to get Supplies from the Building in the lower left hand corner. That's BB Furniture Building with the water tower on top, and the Museum Building just to it's left. Also That is Citizen's Dock at the end of Chestnut after the bend in the road. I worked for Puget Sound Truck Lines out of that building in the early '70's. The Great Northern Railway Station was just beyond and across the tracks from Citizen's Dock. The Milwaukee Road Depot was just out of sight of the bottom of the picture, and the loading dock and roundhouse was at the base of Railroad Avenue about a block down Railroad from the gas station. This picture brings back some very good memories. I would love to get a copy of this picture! Thank you Jay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

Two different photos showing two different days when it was not cloudy
and raining in Bellingham !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

George, do you have a brother named John? Seems like he had a Model T in the 1960s. Maybe you? I worked for Nesbitt Auto Parts those years. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Geoffrey Harris on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

John Lemperes did have a Model T- I have that car now and drove it past the Herald Building (almost through this picture but not quite) last time I drove it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Dave and Geofrey,
John is my brother and we co-owned a 1923 Touring in the sixties. We lived at 2532 Ellis Street. I worked at Crocker's Signal Gas station for a short time while John worked there too. That is where we saved the money to buy that 1923. I had to leave Crocker's because I was too young to work under the Lube Rack. I actually went to work for Bud Crocker's brother Morrie. who had Morrie's Auto Mart across the street from Roeder School. I also mowed lawns and did odd jobs in order to save as much money as we could. I can't remember the name of the gentleman that we bought the car from, but he was a local collector. He bought it from the original buyer. His name was Gustav Forsloff. The car sat in a garage in a house in So. Bellingham for 30 some years under the same drip that eroded the spot on the hood. I loved that car. I wish I still owned it. Next time I visit the Family, I would love to see you two. Let's meet over coffee or something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

George, I am remembering those people, except Gustav, I wonder if he was related to Dar Forsloff, parts man for Diehl Ford for many years. I did remember John telling me the story of the model T up on blocks in Fairhaven. Also wondering now if Geoffrey is related to Howard Harris, who was a Union oil guy in Bellingham years ago. Sure I'd meet for coffee, or whatever, whenever. You can email by linking to my name here. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Geoffrey Harris on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Maybe John had two Model Ts at some point? My family bought our car from John sometime in the 90s. It is a 1915 Touring. Last time I talked to him was at the Boulevard Park show in I think 2012 and he did say he was the third owner. Yes absolutely let's meet for coffee, if I can manage it I will bring the T. It is packed away in storage now but hopefully not for too much longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Geoffrey Harris on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Howard Harris was my grandfather! He taught at Western almost up until he passed away a couple of years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

John did have a 1915 Touring when he lived on East Laurel Rd. I was fortunate to be able to drive it when I visited one Summer. It had wood on the top of the doors. Beautiful Car! Enjoy it! I am currently driving a 1909 Touring #10390. I'm looking for parts to restore it, but fear that it would be so costly that I won't be able to afford to restore it. In the meantime I'll drive it as it is. We may be coming to Washington sometime this summer. I'll try to look you up then.
Blessings, George

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration