Question for Stan Howe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question for Stan Howe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:24 am:

I've saved the information on ultrasonic cleaners, but I'm wondering what kind of medium you use for blasting carb bodies? I assume it's not sand, but I haven't found a reference to the specific material. If Stan doesn't see this, maybe somebody who is a better Googler than I am can find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Steve, probably soda blasting. Water soluble for one thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 11:46 am:

Walnut shells are also used as a less aggressive blast media.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

By Stan Howe on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 07:42 pm:

Glenn, the goldy color is from buffing with Tripoli and then white rouge on a loose buff. I also do some sanding and wire brushing on the OF's before I buff them out. I bead blast them gently with fine glass bead to start with. The smaller parts go in my vibratory tumbler for a few hours with plastic green pyramid media, then with dry shine for a few more. Then I buff the things like adjuster screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

I no longer do them the same way i used to. I dont have time. I use very fine glass bead at 150 psi for a quick clean, then i disassemble it, hit the parts with bead, into ultrasonic cleaner one, brass shell casing cleaner, brass ultrasonic two, water bath rinse with brass shell casing cleaner, blow dry and stainless steel wire brush and fine sanding drums, ready for reassembly. I do not like walnut as it disintegrates too quickly and is too slow. I do not buff anything, soda is good way to make a mess. I am 30 ~ 40 carbs behind, i dont have time to waste time, i do plenty of that already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

Would this work??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNRTNLgyUs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

It will take the tarnish and powder residue from brass casings but won't clean the crud off an old brass carb.

I've had the best luck with the RCBS cleaners for small parts. Bout a hundred bucks at most sporting goods stores.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration