Lubricating a neglected T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lubricating a neglected T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Good morning friends. I must admit that I have neglected my T, but I am now making amends. As many of you may know, my T, which is now running and being driven, was down for two years and even prior to that, I am ashamed to say that I did not oil or lubricate her as well or often as I should have (is never often enough?) so I am seeking some advice.

Say a T, equipped with old fashioned cup fittings and flip top oilers has not been lubricated in years (please do not suggest changing them to modern fittings. I like the old fashioned ones) and say there is very little grease in the bearing chambers. How many times does one fill and screw on the smaller cup fittings on the rear axle outer bearings? How about the larger cup fittings on the universal? Is it a good rule of thumb to just keep on until the cup will not screw on all the way or the grease oozes out?

Regarding the flip top oilers. Is one fill of the cup enough, or should one allow it to seep in and apply more until it drips out?

I removed the screw to the fan reservoir and it must have been totally empty for it took a really long time to fill.

Can someone please post a lubrication chart to remind me of all the places that need to be lubricated? Much obliged from the owner of a soon to be, happy and healthy T.

Jim Patrick

PS. the crank case oil was never neglected. Only the bearings and linkages under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 02:05 pm:

My opinion:

Grease cups - Keep filling them, screwing them down, and repeat until grease oozes out the other side of the bearing/bushing in question. For the rear axle outer wheel bearings, remove the rear wheels so that you can see when grease starts oozing out of the outer seals.

Oilers - similar - fill to the top, let sit for a day, top them off, repeat. It's probably overkill, but when I'm driving my car regularly, I fill my oilers before every other drive. If the car sits for a week or more, I top off the oilers before the next drive. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Hope this comes out clear enough. Don't forget to oil the parking brake cross shaft. It gets neglected a lot. The later year cars have a hole in the frame above the felt-filled mounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Thanks Mark and Stephen. I got all the places greased and oiled. I'm sure I'm not the first to discover that greasing grease cups goes a lot faster if you put a wad of grease into the male portion of the grease cup with your finger and press it into the hole with your finger tip until full, then screw on the full grease cup for good measure. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Jim..re the grease cup for the universal joint, I highly recommend buying the grease cup with the zerk in it, I think Lang's is the only folks that has that in the larger style. If you're going to shoot for a Stynoski, you can always change back to the stock style. The universal ball, in MHO, is often never greased enough. I pump the crap out of mine about every 300 miles with a grease gun, as you know one pump does not provide tons of grease. I pump a good 30 or more shots each time. On the rear axles, I remove the cup each spring,then mid year, install a zerk, pump some grease in with the axle off the ground, and rotate wheels while giving about 6 shots of grease. Then I put the cup back on. Says 200 miles on the chart, but I admit I go a lot further.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration