Merry Sunday to all!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Merry Sunday to all!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

http://york.craigslist.org/cbd/5986225111.html
Appears to be a chopped up TT with a Ruckstell rear end.
Assuming the engine is free turning, what should I offer to pay?
Im going to see if they have anything else up there, too.
This might make a nice project while I wait to hear back from Mike about the speedster.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

The engine looks like the one in my Model A. The parts may bring the asking price.

It' Monday here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Azevedo on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

James, this has a Model A engine and a TT rearend. No ruxtell. It has a Model T steering column, but not much more Model T. There is another transmission behind the Model A transmission, but photos do not allow identification.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Really nice - as is the T power unit behind it in the picture. Too bad it's not closer - I'd be on my way with my flatbed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

James - doodlebugs, conversion tractors and farm/industrial equipment made from a Model T or A are pretty much all I do. The asking price on the doodlebug is at the high end of fair market value for it's condition (from what I can see in the pictures). The power unit behind it is anywhere from 300-400 (cannot see if the cart is homemade or a kit).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Focus, James, focus! :-)

Mike, are there any parts that you can send James to keep him busy while you sort out the engine? His nervous energy is getting the best of him! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Now Mark, there's nothing wrong with James wanting to explore the Dark Side of the Force called "doodlebugs." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

James - I'd go there with a flatbed and cash. Make an offer of $900 for the bug and the power unit together. Hard for them to say no to the bird in the hand. Then, you have a couple of options:

Get both running and keep as they are (that would be what I would do) OR disassemble the power unit and use the engine and radiator in the bug (then she's all T). You'd have to make up a new drive shaft to go between the T engine and the #2 transmission. You could then sell the A engine (and radiator - depending on what shape that's in) and remnants of the power unit (if the cradle and cart were a factory-made kit like Sears or Montgomery Ward, they'd bring a little more money). That would give you some $ for tires, etc.

(Message edited by Conversiont on February 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Or save your money for the speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

For anyone who's curious, the title changed it self to my last post and I'm not sure why.
I'm going to give them a call and schedule a meeting to check the A and T out... Maybe I can dicker them down.
Upon closer inspection, I now see that it is indeed a model A engine. I saw the shifter and assumed it was a TT ruckstell. Now I think it has an AA rear end.

Mark: You're not wrong! I would love to have something to keep me busy in the meanwhile. Maintenance and repairs on 5 VW buses should be enough, but that is just too easy!
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

For some reason, my account posted that original post twice with the wrong title...
My apologies to the moderators and viewers!
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Frame, front end and rear are T (rear is TT). Ford used the worm drive rear end during AA production through mid 1929, but the one in this bug is TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

James/Ron - Those two big hinges mounted flat on the rear suggest to me that perhaps the machine once had a small dump box mounted at the back. Wouldn't be too hard to make a replacement dump box of some sort out of a few "barnwood" planks; all in keeping with the original "rustic" pieced-together look of the machine. The dump box feature could be easily manually operated if the box was designed and mounted with about a foot or foot and a half overhang. Lots of possibilities. Wonder how, and for what the machine was originally used for,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Harold - I noticed those hinges and thought the same thing about a dump box as well. It's a really neat machine and would be interested to see closeups of the motor mounts they made to put the Model A powerplant in there. The A-frame they used to mount the steering column and ignition system is obviously made out of frame sections - unusual. According to the ad, the engine is free - and from the pictures, looks like it wouldn't take much to get her to fire.

What fascinates me is the fuel system. There's a T tank under the seat and you can see the line going from that tank up to a sediment bowl on the A-frame - which appears to be connected to a vacuum tank also on the A-frame. Line goes from that vacuum tank down to the carb (a Tillotson). There must be some sort of pump system drawing the fuel up there. The question is - why? Lot of engineering to go through when a straight line from main tank to carb would have worked. After 40 years of working on doodlebugs, I've found there is always a reason (not always immediately evident) behind why anything is the way it is.

She would clean up pretty nicely and a small gravity dump body made of barn-board would look great!! Really unique machine.

That bug, the power unit and that TT frame leaning against the wall would all be worth grabbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Now then,....if that auxiliary transmission was an iron Warford or similar, with a PTO,....... more possibilities, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Many more possibilities - but am betting it's a late 20s Chevrolet or Dodge. Next to Model A transmissions (which it doesn't look like from what I can see in the pictures), those two were the most popular to stuff in as a #2 transmission. The various magazine articles published in the 30s that gave instructions about how to make a homemade tractor (Home Handyman, Popular Mechanics, etc) usually suggested a T for the base vehicle and a Dodge transmission as the #2. I posted scanned copies of one of these articles on the Forum a few years ago.Conversiont

(Message edited by Conversiont on February 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Ron - Hard to tell for sure by the photos, but I think the two rear motor mounts are just a pair of "L" brackets made out of heavy strap iron. And I'm guessing that the front motor mount is just the stock Model A front motor mount, complete with Model A front cross member which is bolted into what ever that frame is. What with the variety of auto components, Model A, Model T, some other type frame used for the "A" frame for vacuum tank, auxiliary transmission, vacuum tank, etc, etc.;......it almost looks like the machine was assembled in some old auto wrecking yard where there were lots of parts available. I looked closely at that auto-frame "A" frame you mentioned, and they must have had a forge or something available for lots of heat to re-shape those frame rails where they are mounted to the machine at the bottom. Some pretty clever "shade-tree" work I'd say!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Harold - frame is T. Think you're right about the front motor mount. In a couple of the pictures, it looks like they wedged a Model A front crossmember between the frame rails, right behind the original T front crossmember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

About the vacuum tank,.... yeah, I don't get that either! Altho' if you look at photo #1, it looks like maybe after you burned the top two or three gallons of gasoline out of the top of the tank, maybe the engine would then quit! Hence the vacuum tank! I think I would have just raised the gas tank a couple inches and also maybe fabricated some sort of short intake manifold extension to lower that carburetor a few more inches to get the gravity fuel system to work. Or, mount a gas tank on that monster "A" frame that doesn't seem to need to be that tall anyway, huh? Yeah, that thing is a real "study" for sure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Oops! We were typing at the same time. Yeah,...no reason not to just mount the Model T transverse spring up into the Model A cross member,....just need a bit of a "spacer" in there to account for the fact that the "T" spring is a bit narrower than the "A" spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Yeah - I need to stop looking at her because I'm quickly falling in love.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Ron, There is also a Worthington calling your name too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

For sure A model motor. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

They're all calling my name Chad. I need to start plugging my ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

I'm going to give him a call today... I'll see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Good luck James - lot of fun there between the bug, power unit and TT frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

James - the doodlebug community needs an update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

I spoke to one of the ladies at the shop on Thursday...
She said it was still available as was the power cart behind it for another $450.
She said she had gotten about 10 calls about it already, but as of this posting the ad is still up.
I'm torn as to whether or not I can negotiate them down to $800 for both the cart and the doodlebug.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 06:14 am:

Both are at high end of fair market value. They always get about 10 calls. Would throw them an offer of 800 and be prepared give them 900 for both. Only way that works is when you're there with flatbed and $ in hand. One guy in front of you with cash outweighs 100 phone calls.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration