Flywheel Ring Gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Flywheel Ring Gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

Are any of the vendors selling ring gears with the original #14 thread or are they all 1/4" now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

If you want to use the original style screws, check with the vendors, many times they have NOS or very good used parts available if you ask.

Perhaps one of them will see your thread and respond. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:42 am:

I think all replacement ring gears take the 1/4 inch screws. The 1/4 inch screws fit through the holes in the flywheel just fine. The #14 screw, except for old stock, is not common anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:17 am:

I've bought the original size from Lang's catalogue. Page 71. Or are those not #14?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:38 am:

Truth is hes not asking about the screws, he wants to know about the ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:17 am:

To answer Brendan's question about the ring gear, this question has come up before on the forum.

If I remember correctly there was a good number of ring gears manufactured with the #14 thread instead of 1/4" thread. Seems like someone misread the print and drilled #14 threads instead of the original 1/4" thread.

The vendors began supplying #14 thread screws until the misdrilled ring gears were sold out.

Hadn't bought a new ring gear in a while so maybe all the misdrilled ring gears were sold and the correctly drilled ring gears are now available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:50 am:

I think you have it backwards, John. The factory print for the screws calls out #14-24 ASME Rolled Threads. It was the reproduction ring gears that were made incorrectly.

This has been batted back and forth for years like oil and triple gear bushings but the Ford print says #14-24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Stephen is correct.

#14-24 threads per inch is original Ford production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:53 am:

We make the original style 14 threads screw, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

If you put a #14-24 screw into a quarter 24 threaded hole, it would be a very loose fit as they are about .008 smaller. A quarter-24 will not go into a 14-24 threaded hole.

Snyders catalog 14-24 09-27 #T3278 for original ring gears and quarter 24 for non Ford reproduction ring gears, #T3278RE

Langs #T3278 special thread 11-27

Mac #T3278 quarter 24 for reproduction ring gears only.

Generic #T3278 screw 09-27

It would be very easy to retap a #14-24 to quarter 24 as there is only about.008 difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

One thing to note about the Ford Print: ROLLED threads, not cut ones. Rolling compresses the brass and (theoretically) makes a stronger thread.
I have no idea how the reproduction ones are threaded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

The 1/4"-24 screws I got from Chaffin's clearly have rolled threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

The flywheels were drilled for 1/4-24 threads years before there was ring gears. I have 3 1915 flywheels and they are all 1/4-24 threads. Maybe the suppliers misread the specs. 1/4 is easily mistaken for #14 but there is still .008 difference. #14 is .008 smaller than 1/4. I doubt that a 1/4-24 thread bolt would fit in to a #14-24 thread. A #14-24 thread will fit into a 1/4-24 easily maybe too easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

So why not just tap the threads out if you have #14? A simple cordless drill and a tap should make short work of it . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

The #14 bolt holes are indeed not readily mistaken for 1/4" bolt holes. Big difference, easy to tell the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

My point was that #14 is easily mistaken for 1/4 in the text. There is definitely a physical difference.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration