Let me get this straight, or not

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Let me get this straight, or not
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

The time has come to drill the necessary holes in my new front fenders to mount them onto the car. The holes are for the bolts that go through the hood shelves and the frame rails and holes for the hood latch pins. Do the edges of the fenders normally line up with the inner edges of the frame rails? The holes are already in the frame rails so I guess I can mark the fenders on the underside, through the holes in the frame. I will also be transferring some brackets for the upper mounting points from some old fenders to my new fenders. I suppose that will mean measuring the location of the holes in the old fenders and transferring the same pattern and location to the new fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

If memory serves me right, they pretty much do line up with the edge of the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Tommy, I would fit the upper mountings first. These may indicate that the fender irons need to be adjusted, fore and aft/up and down. once you have that under control and the fender lined up with the running board, then you can mark the fender through the frame holes for a prefect fit. You may find that the fender edge does not line up perfectly with the edge of the frame rail. That does not matter as it is covered by the hood sill panel.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Why not attach fenders with a C clamp to frame leaving drilling and shelves till you have everything aligned . Bolt up fender irons and adjust making sure both fenders are even. You are on the right track. Be patient and get them like they should be before drilling.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration