New MTFCA member and new to Forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New MTFCA member and new to Forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Hi all,

Have lurked here for over a year. Followed some great discussions. Have had a long time fascination with the Model T. Previously owned a 1929 Model A (years ago) and a 1926 Buick. (recently)

Had been looking at Model Ts for sale on all the typical online sites. Just last week, a 1926 Runabout came up for sale locally within a 100 miles from my home. Went for a look, the condition was right and the price was right. Needless to say, I am a proud new T owner. Is equipped with RM brakes. Other than that, is pretty much stock. Has original 6v electrics and coils. Starts ok, however, seems to run a little rough. Have only driven it in my driveway. Not experienced enough for the open road yet. There used to be a local club (Prescott, AZ) but have not been able to contact anyone.

I welcome any suggestions from forum members.

Bob

Front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

Congratulations Bob. It is a nice contrast to the Buick.
Welcome and thanks for showing us your Roadster.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, February 06, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Hi Bob, The contact for the Whiskey Row Flivvers is Paul Smith, 550 W. Rosser St., Prescott, AZ 86301.

That information is in the chapter listing in the January / February, 2017 issue of The Vintage Ford.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Thanks for sharing. Looks like our former 26 as in my profile pic. The two front tires look like mismatched tread, just like ours was :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Bob,

Very nice car! Welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Welcome to the affliction! Nice runabout. Hope you got a good sized garage, 'cause they multiply quickly it seems. I went from zero to 5 in two years, now back to 3, plus a Model A. Realized it was too much work maintaining them all! I love AZ too, have "shrinking" family there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Welcome, Bob. That is one swell runabout. In your lurking you may have already seen these, but I'll put them here in case you didn't.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Welcome, very nice looking car :-)

The rough running issue should be easy to fix - and the more you run it and keep it maintained, the better it'll run.

Often it's the non running for long periods that's the problem - maybe it was never run much after it was restored?

If it's been sitting more than a few months with old gas, then maybe new gas would help.
I suppose you've tried adjust the timing lever and the carb control needle for best running (individual for each car) Other standard things to check out is the timer down at the front of the engine - clean it out, check if it's worn and oil it if it's a type that should be oiled.

If that doesn't help, then maybe you should check if all spark plugs are firing - short each plug in turn with a screwdriver and check if the engine bogs down when a plug is shorted - if it doesn't, then that pug isn't firing.

If the engine runs better at higher rpms than at idle, the it may be a intake leak - check when it's just been started from cold by spraying something flammable like starter fluid or propane around the where the intake attaches to the engine. If it revs up, you have a leak. Don't spray anything flammable when the exhaust manifold is hot - and it heats up rather quick if the spark is slightly retarded.

Good luck and please come back with a report.
Here's some suggested good reading to understand the nature of the beast: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

The first thing to read can be found online: http://www.mtfca.com/books/1926Inst.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Welcome!! There are a number of reasons your car may be running rough. Mine was due to a dirty timer. All I did was clean the contacts, re-lube and she ran like a top. Hopefully your remedy will be that simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Russ Furstnow lives on Flagstaff which isn't that far from you. He isn't a '26 man, but is the chief judge for the MTFCI! He is a good person to know, and I've known him for more years than I can remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Welcome to the club. I have a cousin who is moving to Prescott valley in the near future, and my sister lives near Kingman, so I will be out that way for a visit sometime in the near future. I am looking for places to visit on an out of town tour where we would drive the Model T's around the area for a few days, maybe about a week. I would also like to find out when is the best time of year for a tour, not too cold and not too hot.

I might have met you in the past? I knew someone with the name Bob Doris who lived in Pacific Beach or Clairemont area of San Diego in the 1960's. Would you be him?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Thanks for all the great replies!

Richard, really enjoy your artwork.
Keith, thanks for the Whiskey Row Flivvers contact.

Gary, Your former 26 does look similar. My luggage rack is on the drivers side.
Tim, I can see how they could "multiply." Good thing I have limited space.

Steve, thanks for the link to your dauntlessgeezer website. Lots of great info there. By the way, I met you while wandering around at Hershey last fall.

Roger & John, thanks for the tips on solving my rough running issue. This will be the first order of the day.

Larry, thanks for the Russ Furstnow recommendation.

Norman, we are at 5,000 ft. elevation here. It can snow anytime from November or earlier through April. July brings monsoon rains. Otherwise great weather in between. No, not the same Bob Doris.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Bob, we have sold you parts for your Buick. I had hoped sooner or later you would see the light, and it has come to pass. Welcome aboard. Do you still have the Buick? We are afflicted with them too. I am working on finishing up my dad's 27 model 24 roadster he has owned since 1952. Time is running short on that one. Got to get it done while he can still drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 04:18 am:

Erik,
Great to hear you're having progress on your Dad's '27! The Lott 22 Buick you worked a miracle on is now completely in the city's care (I'm a liability working on it!); but one of the city mechanics is a second-generation old car guy and he's taking good care of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Erik,
I sold the Buick last Aug. at the local Watson Lake show. Had my fun with it and was time to move on. The parts I purchased from you worked out great. Especially the Buckeye front bumper which matched the rear bumpers perfectly.

From my perspective one of the main advantages of owning a "T" is the incredible amount of parts availabitliy as well as help available online and locally as compared with other makes.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Bob, you're right about the parts and support available for model T's. I bet Scat has no plans to make Buick cranks.
It has been a pleasure to help you in the past and we look forward to the same with your model T. Come to the national tour and we will meet you there!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration