Oversize and true 30 x 3 1/2 tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oversize and true 30 x 3 1/2 tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

Which tires now available are true 30 x 3 1/2 and not oversize. I am putting tires on a 16 runabout and the oversize tires just don't let it k right. I have demountable clincher rims and was hoping to put true size tires on front and the oversize on the back. The only true 30 x 3 1/2 I am aware of are the non skid and they are said to wear poorly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

I don't think that true 30 inch 30 x 3.5 tires are available. I believe they are all oversize.

I've posted this in the past, but worth showing again.

My dad ran these wheels and tires on his 1917 touring before he restored the original 30 x 3 and 30 x 3.5 non-demountable wheels.

From left to right:

- 1930s or earlier Wards Riverside "blem" or "second" - slight defect in the bead so the Wards Riverside name was ground off - oversize

- 1950 Wards Riverside -oversize - purchased new by my father

- 1920s Trailblazer Cord - true 30 inch

- 1920s/1930s Goodyear - true 30 inch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

The Firestone Non Skid tires are the only brand that are close to nominal size. Like you said they wear out rapidly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

The Universal catalog shows a Universal brand 30x3-1/2 ribbed tire with a diameter of 30.25 inches. That's 1/4" oversize - barely noticeable, I should think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

https://www.universaltire.com/universal-brand-tires/clincher-tires/30-x-3-1-2-un iversal-ribbed-blackwall.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Interesting thought; if you put standard size 30x3-1/2 on the front and oversized on the rear, it would look a lot like having 30x3 on the front and 30x3.5 on the rear. Next question: is it easier to steer with the standard size tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

I find the biggest problem I have with the oversize tires, disregarding the appearance, is the clearance between the edge of the rear fender and the tire. It is quite close on the 14 Touring, which as far as we can tell, is an original body and original fenders.

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on February 07, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Thanks, guys. Looks like with the Universals there is one alternative.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration