Is this Possible ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this Possible ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Hello Experts, Enthusiasts and Model T owners,

Would love to pick your brains on a Model T Coupe As I get closer and closer to Buying my 1st T.
Is it at all possible to ever purchase a Coupe like this for around $12,500.00 or am I just dreaming? What would you ask if you were selling one like this?? Thanks in advance.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

It looks really nice, very standard. By the way the side lights look nice but didn't come with those from the factory.
For that price I would like to see Rocky mountain brakes and a Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

Sadly there are more T's that could be for sale than buyers. Prices in the Vintage Ford an other sources for later T's are far from what it takes to restore one. Those cars often come up for sale at under $10,000.
That is my humble opinion.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

My very very nice 1927 Coupe sold for a LOT less than that just a few months back :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Tony,
So you think a Coupe similar to this condition is within my price range of $12,5000.00?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Rich and Bill,
Thank you for your feedback.
This car is not for sale. I just saw a picture of it and I liked it. Trying to figure out what I should look for and how much. Getting excited as I get closer to hopefully finding the right one and owning a T. always looking on Ebay and here in the Classifieds.
Again,
Thank you for your input.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

you could pay more for a not street legal off road atv, thats worth 1/2 its price a couple years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Paul,

I think you should be able to easily find a very nice T in that price.

Just to give you an idea, here is a coupe for sale locally to me that I just noticed. Maybe not quite as nice and probably too far from you, but it has all been rebuilt and appears to be nice. The asking price is $9,500.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5950872538.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Paul There's a 1927 coupe a member is thinking about selling in a new thread titled 1927 coupe. I know its a haul to Texas from N.J. But you may want to inquire with the poster may be just what you want. John

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/723297.html?1486496941

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

There are cars that don't make the want ads. Widows and families sometimes have trouble selling cars. I hope word of mouth here finds the right one for you. Be patient.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Paul, Many T's on eBay seem to have inflated prices. I would suggest you consider joining a T club chapter in your area. Get to know the locals and let them get to know you. You will probably start hearing about cars in your area for sale, often with details you wouldn't find out on eBay or others far away. This worked well for me.
Best regards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

Paul, I'm certain you could get a coupe like that for $12,500.00. You could probably also get one similar for about $6,000, leaving enough to pick up a speedster! Yes, do shop around, get in touch with other T owners near you; if you can get one before it's advertised publicly, you'll get a much cheaper deal, and quite often a more honestly represented T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Great. I really appreciate All the info. So many nice people here.
Thank you again
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

Well I've been looking at the coupes as well for my first T and from what I've seen sell, there should be a special reason for paying much more than $10k for one. Seems like one can pick up a decent car for $5k-8k depending on how picky you are and what year you are looking for. Of course later years will be less expensive. There is a restored '22 for sale in Vintage Ford right now for $7500. I just asked about it in a thread the other day. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/722649.html?1486345237

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

That looks like a 25 coupe to me. Originally the cars without a starter and battery had the oil lamps on the cowl. Most of the cars did have the starter and battery. From the picture shown the paint and body look very good and from what I can see of the upholstery also looks good. How does it run? It should be smooth without knocks and after you go down a hill and make a compression stop, when you start out again, you should not have blue smoke out of the exhaust.

The body is the hardest and most expensive part to repair, and in the case of your pictured car looks to be very good.

Check the wheels. With the car parked take hold of the top of the wheel and try to pull it back and forth perpendicular to the way it turns. The spokes should be tight. If not, you will need to rebuild the wheels.

I would also recommend at least auxiliary brakes such as Rock Mountain or disk brakes on the rear wheels if you are going to drive in traffic. And if you are going to climb many hills a Ruckstell or Warford transmission. The Axle and brakes will run you a couple thousand dollars or more. I think you can get one with those additional parts for the above listed price, but you might not find as good a body on it.

I would recommend that you look around at other cars before you commit to buying one. Then you will have a better idea of the worth of the car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Rick and Norman,
Thank you for the help.
Rick, good luck in the search.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Looks can be deceiving. Depending on what you want the car for, you could easily put another 5 grand in it to make it roadworthy. Most any
T will do a local parade or drive to the local food shop but to tour requires a lot more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

We just had one sell in our area last year. The asking price was $7,500 and I'm guessing they took a little less when it sold. It was on the market for a month or so.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

2X what Jim Eubanks said. There are a lot of T's (and other old cars)that have been restored to the 9's on the out side but nothing has been done under the hood. I call'em Ice Cream Restorations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

After I bought my '20 runabout, I had to have the transmission rebuilt, starter motor rebuilt, coils rebuilt and a new Bendix installed. I also cleaned the contacts behind the ammeter, put in a new starter button, and new battery cables from the battery to starter button and starter button to starter motor. I am now replacing the seals and bearing sleeve on the left rear wheel. I have been able to drive it during all these repairs, but with each repair the car ran that much better. I also installed AC brakes. It is just part of the hobby. So be prepared to spend a bit more money than the initial purchase price, but then again, what hobby doesn't incur some cost. I am having loads of fun learning, driving, and fixing the Model T. I have also met new people in my town who own or fix Model T's and new people the forum. Your universe is about to be expanded. Have fun with the T you are about to purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:36 am:

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you,
Everyone's input and knowledge is a great help.
I will keep my eyes, ears and wallet open for a T.
Updates to come.
Cheers,
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Not to slander the fine folks on this forum but many have different ideas about the definition of what a restoration means. To some it means wire bushing a part, putting in some shims and painting with Rustoleum. Some will attempt to repair critical areas themselves without having any previous mechanical abilities or tools. This often leads to "self engineered" temporary fixes. This forum is filled with examples over the years. Some are ingenious but many are eye-roll worthy.

New shiny paint becomes a distraction to the real value of a car and what costs might be involved to bring the car back to reliable operation mechanically. Wear old clothes and be prepared to crawl under cars to inspect. It wouldn't hurt to take someone with you that knows Model Ts to inspect and who can spot shortcuts or fixes by previous owners. When getting into your budget range, post-brass era cars should be near perfect mechanically. The old cliché; "Don't judge a book by it's cover" should be in the forefront of your thoughts.

Happy hunting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Thanks Steven,
I have 2 very good friends who own a
Beautiful inside and out 1915 Brass Roadster and a
1917 Touring ( He's 85 and his knowledge is amazing ) both have been kind to me " THE NEWBIE "
on all questions. Even going with me on a couple of Looks at Ts around my area. Nelson and Bob are both class acts. So again, Thank you for the input and help.
Cheers,
Paul

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration