Model T, me and others at the gas station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T, me and others at the gas station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

I drove Speedy to the gas station the other day. It took me 15 minutes to get to the point shown in the picture of filling the gas tank for all the guys around me asking questions and taking pictures. One guy even turned his car around after leaving just to look at Speedy. It was a wonderful experience. A state trooper going into the convenience store came over to look at it. Before I left, one person asked if he could bring his dad over to my house to look at it. Of course I said yes.

Model T at the gas station

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Ain't it fun? This stuff happens to me all the time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Ditto that! I call a trip to fuel up a "one car-car show". Even get ladies coming up to the car to oggle over it, but not over me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Whenever you're driving, you're your own parade. Whenever you stop, you're your own car show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

How fast does it go?
Mow many miles per gallon does it get?

Were any other questions asked?

A friend of mine was asked "how fast does it go?" His answer "don't know, it starts shaking too much to find out."

That is now the answer that I give.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Watch what happens when you offer to let someone, or their child to sit in the car. I figure no one really can hurt my car it is far from a show car
I have a battery cut off switch on the floor near the starter switch, and I always shut off power to the car when I leave it. I also usually leave it in high when parked. With the power off I do not have to worry if someone or a child should step on the starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

I have had people ask me if the year was a "48. They have no idea what or when these cars were made!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

They were surprised to find out it had wooden spokes and that the gas tank was under the seat.
At first they confused it with a Model A, and were also surprised at the age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Two more pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

Ops. This is the third picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

I've even been asked if I'm the original owner. :-(
I always tell 'em yeah but I only owe three more payments. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

I was stopped at a four way stop sign the other day and a big ladder fire truck was stopped across from me. He blasted the loudest horn I ever heard! scared the livin daylights out of me! Looked over at a thumbs up... Great fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Getting the car out where folks can see it is a great thing. Thanks for mentioning it. My favorite comment was from a lady at the gas station filling her car up. She looked over at the Rusty Coupe and said in a great southern drawl "Looks like your Baby needs a new dress."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

When mine looked like this, I had a lady at a store ask me and my now ex-wife if it was the only thing we had to drive. She was looking as I started it with the crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

I've probably had all the comments, many times, but there's one I hadn't heard before: "Oh, look! Downton Abbey!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

Great looking car David. Looks just like mine. Could you tell me if you have the round or oval gas tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Hey,twins. You have a great looking car. I like runabouts. I have a round gas tank. So far it is doing well going up hills with around 3 gallons in the tank. I wouldn't try it with any less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Thanks David. Lots of reasons to like different years and models of the T. I've always preferred the look of the '17-'22 Runabout. Also Coupes of the same vintage. Sounds like yours is an early '20 if it has a round tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

What a great thread! Thanks for starting it David! You're Speedy's a sweety.
It is amazing how much attention we get when out and about!
I used to take my Crappy Lizzhe to town (4 miles) and I'd fill the tank back up for 27 cents (2000-2002) and have coffee with my friends at the gas station.
People just love this stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:53 am:

I was at the local Safeway store and decided to crank start my '24 (normally use starter). An elderly lady nearby said "Now ain't that something". As I pulled out two clerks ran out with their phone/cameras. I've even had dogs that were going down the sidewalk on a leash stop and stare. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

This post is mainly for Hap regarding when Ford made changes during 1920. David and I have been discussing his car by email. I have confirmed that his serial number dates to mid March 1920. He still has the round gas tank and two piece front mount, same as 1919 and earlier. He also has the new stamped, U channel running board brackets which indicates that change was made before the other two. Note that cars I've seen from June 1920 have all three improvements. This also lines up well with the info in the encyclopedia. Thanks David for your help in making these details a little clearer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Dave,

Thank you for the e-mail pointing me to this thread. And thank you for sharing the additional details about your car, David's car, and how they compare.

I often smile when I think about the Model T "Fossil Record." While not as "news worthy" as digging in the limestone etc. and finding a dinosaur bone or fossil, I still think it can add to our understanding about the cars. And yes, some parts can easily be swapped out over the years. And of course if a car is dismantled completely in the past or recently even the frame can be easily swapped out at that point. But cars with a known history and those with a fairly complete history can add to our knowledge. And often times add additional questions for us to research.

I suspect, but I need to do more research to support or correct that suspicion, that the different Ford Plants converted over at different times. And that there probably was overlap when the newer part and older part were still being used in many cases. One of the best documented cases I know of was the switch from the two piece valve cover block to the one piece valve cover block. From the daily log books of the engine assembly department we know the first normal production of the single door valve cover engine was documented as Nov 1, 1921 (ref page 526 "Model T Ford" by Bruce McCalley and also ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc21.htm see Nov 1, 1921 entry ). And there was overlap with the two door valve cover engines with the last two door valve cover engine produced at the Highland Ford Plant on Apr 3, 1922 also ref page 526.

Note a two valve cover engine may have been produced at one of the branch plants after Apr 3, 1922 but not at the main plant. So it was just over 5 months when both styles of engines were produced at the main USA plant. [Note Canadian and English production change over dates may have been different.]

So yes, I am always interested in adding data points to when Ford (USA, Canada, etc.) made changes and approximately how much overlap may have occurred.

Again, thank you for your e-mail pointing me to the thread, or I could have easily missed it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration