Bent front axle how to straighten or should I straighten?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bent front axle how to straighten or should I straighten?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

Removed the front axle and noticed is it bent. The bend was to the front of the car and I have read a few topics that says they should be straight or they should have a slight bend to the back of the car. When I lay it on a board or floor the bend is about inch. Should I straight it and if so what is a good way to do this.
Thanks

my picture

my picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=str aighten+front+axle+mtfca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Yep I have done that search. I am trying to understand how to use a crescent wrench to straighten the axle. I don't have the cones and rods. The car had very old tires on it when I bought it and they did not seem to be wearing abnormally on the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

No Heat! A chain between the two ends and a porta-power or tower jack in the middle to make it like a bow and arrow and push the center back in place. Somebody pulled the car with a chain and pulled the center forward. You can make it straight again easy but will need to check for twist after that.

I just went through this in the fall on a Ford tractor, radius rods bent up with a bow in the middle from hitting something. I was going to take them off and put them in the press but instead chained the ends and put the porta-power in the center and in 10 minutes all straitened out level when still in place.

Don't let anyone near that axle with heat, chain and a jack will bend it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Gerald, a big crescent wrench is a handy tool to twist the axle if the king pin eyes are not in line. Your bend needs Tim's treatment.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Great I have a chain and a jack. I didn't think about that sounds like a great idea. I will give it a shot. How much spring back does the axle have? like if I want to move it 1/2 inch I should bend it 1? I will just test it and see what it takes.
Thanks
Gerald

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Gerald,
It took this much bending to straighten an axle with a 1/4 inch bow.
The axles are tough.
Axle Straightening

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Gerald, don't try to straighten it all at once. Bend it a little and then check. Most likely you'll have to move your jack a few times, just keep working on the high spots. I agree with NO heat! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Worked on it for about an hour yesterday and got it straight. I think it will work and wasn't that hard to do. I used a log chain and a heavy duty floor jack. Took it a little at a time and kept measuring it as I went. I guess we will see when I get it installed. Now I need to find a Stevens tool and fix the stripped out threads in the axle then I will be good to move to the next step.
my picture 1353

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Pretty clever setup there, nearly everyone has a floor jack and some chain. Well done! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:47 am:

If you have a hard time finding someone close with a Stevens tool, PM me. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration