Hose clamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hose clamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

I have the red radiator hoses and the original style clamps on my '21. When I ran it for the first time this past weekend I had to keep tightening all the clamps trying to get the hoses to stop leaking. I read somewhere that the original style clamps don't hold as well as modern ones. I'm wondering if modern clamps installed until the hoses seal would help then switch back to the old style without disturbing the hoses would help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

I used that exact procedure to stop a stubborn seeping on one end of my lower hose. I left the modern clamp on for a few weeks, then switched back to the correct clamp. Worked great! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

That is a way many have done it.

Sometimes the outlet and inlet castings have rough pitted surface where the hose fits.

Those times it helps to smear a small amount of black silicone adhesive around the inside of the hose. Helps to slip on the hose, and then dries in those crevices. If you fit the modern clamp, be sure to first fit the Ford type loosely below the modern.

Then it is easy to just remove the gear type clamp, and slip up the Ford style in its place.

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on February 07, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Tightening the original style clamps is self defeating. The more you tighten the more likely the hose will be pinched between the ears of the clamp, inducing leaks at that point. If the castings are not pitted, I use a little permatex gasket cement on the hoses and then tighten the clamps. This will usually work, but I am prepared to resort to worm drive clamps if needed.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

I use the modern clamps for a few miles or weeks and then the factory clamps on A s and T s. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

I use the clear RTV in these locations. It doesn't set as hard as the black. Seals well, prevents corrosion, and if you have to remove, a twist of the hose will release the bond. I've been doing this with water hoses on all vehicles for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Ya, I was driving down the street and some folks pointed at me and laughed because I had modern hose clamps on my T.

All seriousness aside, I can not be bothered with the original type.
I use modern detergent 5-30 oil, modern unleaded regular gas, modern anti-freeze, modern synthetic bearing grease and MODERN HOSE CLAMPS.
If you want to use the original type then do as the guys above said, "use RTV in each end of the hoses". It will do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:08 am:

I have the same problem with constant seeping. When the warm weather comes back I was planning on trying the RTV and modern clamps. Then switching to the older clamps. That seems to be the way everyone else is having success. I did put them on last year with the RTV but I used the old style clamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:29 am:

I second the use of RTV on the hose fittings, seals great and makes it a breeze to get the hoses off. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:34 am:

"All seriousness aside, I can not be bothered with the original type."

Ditto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Be careful when buying original style hose clamps. Snyders catalog says just like Henry made 'em, which is bull crap. I went to the Model A section in the SAME CATALOG, and he has the correct show quality hose clamps as original for three times the price! Why doesn't he tell the truth? I contacted Ideal, who made them originally, and they discontinued them for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:40 am:

I slather a little pipe dope on the fittings before attaching the hose with those correct style clamps. It works.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration