Side/Tail oil lamps (black era burner gasket question)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Side/Tail oil lamps (black era burner gasket question)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

On a black era oil lamp, there's a leather gasket between the burner and the reservoir. Well at least I THINK they're leather... :-)
I've had no luck finding them and only once a mention of them. A favored vendor's catalog doesn't list them nor show them installed on a new burner assembly.
I'd like to have a few for the lamps I have.

Do I see the local shoe repairman, guess at the thickness, see IF he has some stock and then sit down at the lathe and make the 2 punches?
An O-ring maybe?
What have you folks done to replace that (missing, falling apart or it's old, brittle and needs to be replaced) gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Never seen a gasket between the burner and the font. Parts books list the font, burner, door, and wicks....no gasket.

On mine, stuffed the font with cotton waste, and then pour in modern tiki torch fluid, keeps it from sloshing around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Hi Duey,

Yes, I have seen the leather gasket. I will look for it/them tomorrow and photograph . Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Duey, there are pleanty of leather shops around me. If you dont have luck finding what you need let me know thickness and I can send some your way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Thanks fellas, it's appreciated! I posted no pic. What a dunce cap...

gasket

There's the gasket I'm lookin' for. One in situ (in place) on the right and the other in pieces.
Dan, you're the "cotton waste" guy!
I want more pics of your Ford!
Bill, I'm happy as a lark to know you know what I'm asking about! The Devil is in the details.
Pffft! Like my stuff will EVER be perfect. Not.
Dallas, Aha! Amish country for you! Thank you and I will let you know if I need that favor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

I also have seen them.I usually just omit them as I don't burn my side lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Ach! Jack, that wasn't what I wanted to hear! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 09:05 am:

I bought a pair of nice original '15 cowl lamps on ebay a few years ago. They had the gaskets in them. Those are the only ones I've seen, but I believe they were original to the lamps because of the lamps' condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

I use O rings on mine. They will leak if you use them without a gasket. Ask how I know. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 12:11 am:

Can the O rings handle the heat? Shouldn't be hard to find some leather to make some new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Hen's teeth, eh? Almost.
Strange.
Thank you again guys.
It IS interesting to me that something I view as something so obvious would be so elusive.
Mike, thank you!
Don, thank you for that! Did you use any specific O-ring or just go to the National O-ring kit for yours?
Don, hehehehe, splish-slash... I get ya.

(Message edited by Duey_C on February 10, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 10:28 am:

This is a NOS E&J tail lamp and you can see that the fiber gasket fits the recess in the top of the font. Seems to be the same fiber material as some of my square lamps on the '14. Not leather in the examples I have.

Seems like the O-ring would do the trick, round or square lamps. The square lamps don't have the "splash" problem because they have a font baffle but it also helps the kerosene evaporation situation in both types. I used mine for an hour and a half this morning but I'm sure more kerosene evaporates than I burn overall.

No need to fill either type font more than 2/3 full unless you are going to leave it burning all night.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

A quick check turned up two with gaskets. One on a model 60 Ford side lamp (1910) and one on a Gray & Davis tail light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, February 10, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Fiber washers are available at some of the more well-stocked auto parts and hardware stores. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Beeeutiful lamp Ken! NOS says it all! Goll, that's a pretty lamp.
A PM report says perhaps 1/16" or 3/32" thick for an O-ring and no issues with heat when in use.
Just re-checked my gasket bits and destroyed one of the sections in my fingertips. Fibrous with some magnetic "shards" (to me) equate sweep it up and press it together to make a washer/gasket.
.065-.067 thick for the other "shards" and right on the money for thickness!
I WAS thinking leather but it seems they are/were fiber.
Fiber washers from the store or O-rings for me.
Thank you one and all!
Duane
p.s. Next question coming up. :-)

(Message edited by Duey_C on February 12, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration