What do you think a 1907 model N is worth?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What do you think a 1907 model N is worth?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Restored some time in the past, its complete in tidy condition.
I realize this is a vague description but as rough price range in your opinion please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

I think that these have a cult following because of its successor, rather than its own merit, however, anything that has survived 110 years and can still move under its own power has something special. I personally would not pay more than 25-30K for it. I know where an '06 is located, and the owner thinks it is a retirement plan... perhaps I am missing the boat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Just a casual observation.

Years ago, it was rare to see a Model N-R-S. There were plenty around, but it seems that most were not taken out and shown or toured.

This has changed significantly in the past ten years or so because of the availability of reproduction transmission frames and other parts allowing many of these cars to become roadworthy again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Kevin,

I own both a 1907 Model N runabout and a 1908 Model S Roadster. Mine aren't for sale, so I can't tell you what price they might bring in the market place.

However, I can tell you that they are a ball to drive. NRS cars have a higher horsepower to weight ratio than a Model T. They are very quick from a standing start, but generally top out at 30-35mph. They are also very good hill climbers. I have driven up hills in high gear where all the Model Ts had to go into low. I have driven the N on Model T yours, and it keeps up very well.

On the negative side, the maintenance on an NRS is substantially more than a Model T. I have often said to Model T people that "compared to a a Model N a Model T is a low maintenance automobile ". The engine oiling system is a total loss system: what goes in does come out, usually all over the chassis. To keep the car in very good presentable condition, I usually figure that I will do 2 hours of cleaning and maintenance for every 1 hour of running time.

And there is one more thing... The ignition system on an NRS car is battery powered. Although Ns originally came with two banks of 6 dry cell batteries (the big tall ones) most of us use a larger wet cell motorcycle battery which we have to recharge regularly. Once your battery runs down, you are done driving until you replace or recharge your battery.

Driving an NRS car really makes you appreciate what a tremendous advance the Model T was.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:13 am:

Trent, thanks for that brilliant info and may explain why one wont start after long term storage.
After walking around the Henry Ford museum in Detroit last Aug I enjoyed seeing the different models in person. You have me more interested....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:23 am:

I asked Raymond Babbit and he said "About a hundred dollars".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:25 am:

Erik, good points - a good look around to date and confirm correct parts is vital before considering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:39 am:

Kevin,

PM sent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Burger, I thought Raymond was a Buick man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Yes, Buick. Definitely Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Trent is correct in his comments. I have a 1908 S roadster and it is a lot of fun to drive !!!!! It takes about two days to wipe the smile off my face every time I drive it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Bruce, Trent seemed to be saying it took 2 days to wipe the OIL off ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Do NRS cars have a parking brake? I have seen videos of folk using wheel chocks with long ropes that they haul in from the driver's seat when they are ready to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Mark,

Yes and no. The right pedal acts on the rear drums and has a ratchet to hold it in place so yes, that's the parking brake. But, does it work? No, it does not.

Once I remove the wheel chock, the car begins to move. I jump in as it passes me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Hi Mark,

I do not own an NRS, but yes, they DO have a parking brake, same size as Model T.

Worth? What is one of these cars worth to YOU and most important: can you afford it?

The concept of worth applies to everything and anything: a pound of nice beef in the grocery store ($x.xx per pound?? I'm not paying that much!) If you can afford something the next consideration really is how badly do you want it? And it pretty much is want, not need, few (any?) of us NEEDS these cars. Again, my two cents worth, likely overvalued. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

I know where there's one as well. It's in the family of the original owner. I haven't even seen it yet - sort of a distant relationship through my daughter-in-law. It seems to be a family heirloom that everybody wants to claim, but nobody actually maintains or drives. As far as I know it was in decent drivable shape 20 years ago and has been sitting in a dry garage. I'm trying to at least get a name and address for the owner so I can express some interest in case they ever want to sell it. I'm told it's a long shot . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Chris,

I suspect the possibility of it getting sold is less of a long shot and more of a certainty. Probably just a matter of who gets to sell it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

The question was VALUE ? My unrestored 1908 Model S runabout has been for sale since Oct. last year--Its complete with top bows and irons, runs but needs a complete restoration. My auction reserve was $28K, less then I have in it---lots of interest but nobodys sent a check or even come to look at the car. Guess I need to advertise it, which I really have not done.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

I bought our N several years ago for $25,000. It was purchased with other cars from a museum by Stoneaire who then sold the cars individually. It needed a complete restoration but is was in remarkably good original condition. Thanks to research by Hap we knew the N was an early one (#3) so that added value for me. On the down side, it had many period modifications.

I've seen several sell, or offered for sale over the last ten years, with $15,000-$25,000 catching unrestored, and $35,000-47,000 for restored running NRS. I'm sure there have been others outside these ranges.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Thanks Guys, I'm more informed & better prepared thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

For whatever it is worth?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-Ford-Other-Model-S-Roadster-/371856376120?forcerrpt r=true&hash=item56945e0138:g:d0AAAOSwEzxYXDoI&item=371856376120

It has been off and on eBad for awhile now. I figure it is worth maybe $45K, but that is just my opinion. Most of these dealers overprice by 30 to 100 percent. It is just part of how they play their games.

I would sure love to have an NRS Ford. But I doubt that will ever happen. I am currently over halfway through reading Carl Pate's book from cover to cover!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

If I may include my own opinion on this subject with you folks. I MISSED a basket-case original N last year that was out East. Went for 10 grand I think but thank heavens at that time it was unrestored and didn't look bad in its original clothes at all. It was quite a cutie to me. It did need love and some money.
Ahhh, the elusive original N.
I hope you find that the one you are looking at is about right $$$.
Kevin, if you take it home with you, I want to see pictures of it and then with you driving it when it's ready! Yeehaw!
Duane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Wayne - Nice looking car, I do like the look of an S.

Duane - I would gladly post a heap of pics if I'm lucky enough but its a long shot to fit my budget. Either way it will be interesting.

Thanks Guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Duey C, I am pretty sure I looked at the auction listings for that one. I, too, would loved to have gotten it (but no way, I am way too broke).
The one that hurt me recently was less than a year ago, again on eBad. It was a project pile of many mixed NRS parts, but nearly enough to make one good car, and possibly a second. Two good frames, two nearly complete front ends, most of two good rear ends, one probably good transmission, most of a second one. And much more. It sold for right about $7000. Worse, it was less than 100 miles from me!
I hate being broke!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:30 am:

That sounds a good deal, Lotto ticket again this week I guess Wayne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Wayne, that hurt me. I'm so blind to this stuff.
I'm kinda the same only different, the OLDER I am, the blinder I get. Those TWO pass me by and I'm Mr Oblivion.
Thanks Kevin!
Hmmm, like my brother in law said on the telephone a hundred years ago to a potential client. True but take it with that grain of salt.
"Bonnie (Kevin), just buy the damned house (N)!"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Gonna try Duey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:26 am:

I think the price of pre Model T Fords has dropped in the past few years. I paid $24K at auction for an old restoration that doesn't run and the paint is peeling. I suspect its worth about $20K today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 11:06 am:

I handled the sale of a 1906 N for the Classic Car Club Museum last year. It brought $45,000. This was the former Margaret Dunning car.
The market is always good for good cars.
- David

www.CharvetClassicCars.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

David,

PM sent.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/723761.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

If you can't afford one, you can build one.
Horselesscarriagereplicas.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Prices from the Schuchardt Auction in Spearfish SD September 2012

4S 1903 Ford Model A Rear Entry Tonneau #3 $101,000.00

5S 1904 Ford Model AC Rear Entry Tonneau #3 $103,000.00

6S 1904 Ford Model AC Runabout #3 $53,000.00

7S 1904 Ford Model C Runabout #3 $61,000.00

8S 1905 Ford Model F Touring #4- $50,000.00

9S 1906 Ford Model N Runabout #4- $28,000.00

10S 1907 Ford Model R Runabout #3 $55,000.00

11S 1908 Ford Model S Runabout #4 $32,000.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

I did know where number 75 Model N was as the owner still had the old seat back with 75 on it and a factory photo of the car being built.It was in Anson county when i got to see it.came from a south carolina dealer that held onto it. I wish I still had contact with the family. the man died that had it. He said he paid to have the engine over hauled and when he cranked it it sounded horrible. He called the re-builder and the guy told him to hold the phone near the engine for a minute. The guy then said,"that sounds normal"
He promised me a ride in the car but I never did get it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration