Has anyone tested the range on a hill?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Has anyone tested the range on a hill?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

I was just wondering if anyone has tested the average range of a Model T going up a hill (before running out of gas)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Depends on how steep and how long the hill is. If you have over a half tank of gas, there is practically no hill on a modern road or highway that you can't climb. However on an old rural road you may encounter a very steep hill where your carb may end up nearly at the same level as the fuel in your tank if it is only half full or less. At that point there is very little "gravity feed." A full tank is your friend here. A '26 or '27 with the cowl tank does not have these problems.

The Long Beach Model T Club used to hold an annual hill climb up a 1/10th mile 22% grade. Faster cars with full tank made it, slow cars often finished the hill in reverse after sputtering to a stop halfway up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

Rick, it would depend on the year and body style of the car. All '26 and '27's except the Fordor had the gas tank in the cowl and don't have a gas problem on hills. On the other hand, some coupes had the gas tank in the back behind the seat, and can easily have gas problems on hills.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 04:28 am:

There is also the oil feed to consider - the inside oil pipe feeds oil to the front of the engine by gravity, and if running up a too steep and too long hill with a '26/'27 cowl tank, then the front rods may become starved for oil. A very common type of failure back in the old days.

An accessory oil pipe from the magneto contact helps, but the ultimate safety comes from a high volume oiler that taps from the hogshead directly in line with the flywheel, using the flywheel as a centrifugal pump, and thus giving a positive flow towards the front of the engine that flows at the steepest hill you can take in low.
http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTP&Product_C ode=T3081-HVOLKit&Category_Code=k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gift on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 04:36 am:

I also want to know.
https://goo.gl/BcZSu6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 06:23 am:

Simple! Depends on how much gas you have in the tank, how steep the hill is, how long the hill is. If you're driving a 26-27 with a cowl mounted gas tank, you win!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:26 am:

Let's assume we are talking about a pre-'25 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:42 am:

Same answer, but cancel out 26-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:39 am:

I have gone up the steepest hill on only a cupful of gas. What really matters is the length of the hill. If you can make it to the top before the gas line goes empty, it will refill itself at the top. Just once I didn't make it. At what I estimate to be 300 yards, the car died. I had to walk the car around until it was level and it restarted immediately. I never thought of it at the time but, I suppose you could use your gas checking stick and scoop gas into the line and it would start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Also depends on whether somebody added a fuel filter in the line. I live at the top of a three gallon hill, but when I bought a 23 with an added paper type fuel filter it turned into an eight gallon hill. Backed up the hill several times before I removed it. Problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland, Montrose, Iowa on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:53 am:

The "old timers" had a way of measuring the steepness of a hill back in the day. It was that the steepest were referred to as a "seven gallon hill". Meaning that on certain hills unless you had 7 gallon or more gas in the tank you will need to plan on backing up it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Dan..here's a funny if not scarey thing about hills 'n low fuel on my '13. During I think the second or third day of the Finger Lakes tour, per usual when I got back to town I immediately went to the gas station across from the hotel to fill up for the next day. I always stick the tank first. It had BARELY a gallon left! And I distinctly remember making one last moderate hill anyway up, then of course back down, prior to making the turn onto whatever that main road was back into town! Felt my legs "flush" when I saw that! Couldn't believe I made it! Determined I apparently had the carb a bit too rich, next day I leaned it, got much better mileage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Rick, I regularly climb a 3 mile "Ithaca type" hill in my '15, though I don't think I've done so on a really low tank, so far no problems. On a low traffic day I would try 92B or 79 in your area without too much worry. You really should avoid the Sand Bank road off Route 13 by Buttermilk Falls though....up or down.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration