OT, confusing safety labels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT, confusing safety labels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 05:06 am:

I just bought a tube of "Barge Cement" (OK, for player piano work, but I'm certain it could be used somewhere on a T) and it clearly states:
DANGER. FLAMMABLE
INFLAMMABLE
Read all cautions on other panel

Um, OK, do they mean the same thing??
BTW, I once saw a hair curling iron with "Not for the Other Use" on it. Other use??? What have I missed out on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 05:22 am:

Yep David, they both mean the same thing, unless something has changed in the last 60+ years. It never made sense to me then, or to my teachers in grade school. Kind of like cannon is singular, and plural, along with deer. :-( It's no wonder the English (American) language is so hard to learn. I have been trying for 67 years to learn it, still haven't figured it out!:-( I guess as as far as the "Not for the Other Use" thing, they don't want you to use the curling iron to straighten your hair? :-):-):-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:14 am:

I have a package of Planters Mixed nuts, it says "warning may contain peanuts and tree nuts" and "Manufactured on equipment that processes other tree nuts"
Are they nuts or is it just me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:19 am:

NOT YOU G.R. Its them... they are Nuts...

P.S. If you had opened the package you would have seen them....(just had to say that..LOL)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:24 am:

I once bought a poster that was rolled up about 1 1/4" in diameter. The same sizes "bag" that it came in had a label that stated "warning do not place this bag over your head for risk of suffocation"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:31 am:

We must ptotect all the idiots in the world so they can breed more of the same. Otherwise they would go extinct. Think of all the people that would put out of work. Law firms ,hospitols and ect.... Then we have to print everything in 6 languages. Reading directions is a major task now. 12 pages to tell the process to open a jar lid. Just sayin!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Yeah, and the dumpsters at my place of work all have a large sign that says: "Danger, not for habitation".

Jeez, I always wanted to live in a steel box...another bucket list item denied me.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:47 am:

Cliff: Habitation seems like a 50 cent word to me! You should warn your City Council that the meaning of that word may be lost on those individuals it is meant to protect. <oh>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:12 am:

I always like the pump out truck that was labled "Contains Political Promises"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:09 am:

David & David..re the curling iron "other use"...maybe they mean for the gals not to use it "down there"! Ba ha ha (though for most that's not an issue :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Chadwick: you mean this one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Here's a sentence I didn't expect to ever read. I cut this out of the side panel of a cardboard box Oh no! What happens if it gets there late!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:23 am:

What happens ? Judges won't have score sheets, or the winning Fidos won't get ribbons. That's a fairly sensible label, I guess although I doubt anybody in any shipping organization would react to it and give the package extra consideration. The reverse may happen if some sour-puss thinks dog shows are a waste of time - like showing old cars . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:37 am:

Rich,

I guess you're right. Still, it just strikes me as funny somehow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

This just goes to prove that the human species is getting dumber every day because the natural selection process is being messed with!

We are doomed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Just turn it over, ..... good as new !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

OMG Burger, does "Used only once...." mean what I think it does?

Never knew we were buying pre-owned toilet paper...<gross>

(Message edited by cliff colee on February 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

OMG Burger, does "Used only once...." mean what I think it does?

Never knew we were buying pre-owned toilet paper...<gross>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Cliff,

Please pay attention to preventing infectious disease for the health of you and your family.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Maybe this will help ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

I feel an intense desire to let my emotions float in the sky...haven't done that in years. Where can I buy one of these fabulous LED bulbs?

Does it also cook and do housework?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

One of my favorite safety warnings is the tag on ladders: DO NOT STAND OR SIT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

David - It's my opinion (....and that's just what it is,....OPINION) that most of the warnings we see on lables and such is simply the result of manufacturers having to protect themselves in our now, overly litigious society. In other words, we have far too many lawyers that have found that they can make a lot of money by winning ridiculous cases such as the lady that spilled hot coffee on herself at a fast food place.

The other interesting thing is the words "flammable" and "inflammable". I got in trouble once for using the word "inflammable" in a report that I wrote. And to this day, I don't think I was wrong, it's just a matter of another of the "intricacies" of our American English language. In many of our most trusted and reputed "best" dictionaries, if you look up the word "flammable", their definition will contain the word "inflammable". Now then, if you look up the word "inflammable" in that same dictionary, you'll find that the definition of that word contains the word "flammable"! (???) FWIW,..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Steve, believe it or not those are needed for some people. I hired a guy and had two men on a scafold. He went and got the owners cheap 6ft wood step ladder. The kind with the paint tray that is made out of 1/4 inch wood that folds out. He steps off the scafold onto the paint tray. I heard the crash and turned to see him face down in about 5 inches of mud. The labels only work if you heed the warning. But you cant fix stupid with a warning sign. Burger you only need two sheets of toilet paper ! One to wipe and one to clean your nails. The second sheet is the infectious desease control part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

How about the Superman costume with the following label, "Wearing this costume does not enable the wearer to fly". Just imagine some guy with his brand new Superman suit standing up on the peak of his roof when he notices that label and says, "Dang!". We're gonna have to abolish those labels and issue a Superman suit to every man, woman and child. I know it seems harsh but it may be the only way out of this mess.

Btw, I've decided that if I ever get to thinking that I can fly I'm gonna take off from the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Flammable
Inflammable
Quirk of the English language that came about by the incorporation into English of a word from another language (and we have lots of them).
The origin of inflammable is French rather than the English word flammable with a prefix added on that means "not".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

When I worked in a bucket factory we wonder if small children really understood the red circle with a slash as meaning don't. Kids might ignore the red and take the image as an instruction on what to do.

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

When I read the local paper sometimes if there is a fire it will say "fully engulfed in flames" sometimes it says "fully involved in flames"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

What a country!

Where else do we park on driveways and drive on parkways.

And, I always thought that small child bucket warning meant, "no bobbing for apples". Oh, well.

If you go to the dollar store or family or general, you will find a quart of single weight motor oil in the auto parts aisle that says, "not for use in vehicles made after 1930". It's perfect for my T, but, really... are there that many vehicles out there with the owners shopping at family dollar for their motor oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

I've seen that oil at the dollar store. I thought the same thing. I know a couple guys in town with Model A's but I think one is a 31 so he can't use it. I put it in my 2004 Cavalier though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:17 am:

A safety warning for your Daughter's boyfriend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:40 am:

Years ago, my boys bought me a small plastic tool box for Father's day. Tray in the top and two or three pull out drawers below. Hinged lid with carry handle. Maybe a foot high, a foot deep and 2 feet wide. The instruction sheet that came with it listed 7 different things for you NOT to do with it that could cause injury or death. All I know is that I hope these pursuers of emergency medical vehicles will all do all 7 of those things and I'm hoping for death vs. injury. The world would be a better place.

I'm waiting to hear about the lawsuit where someone didn't follow the directions on something because the print was so small or they fell asleep reading the long list of warnings, or that they just didn't believe what they were reading due to all labels crying wolf. Ever tried finding the dosage on an OTC medication or the re-coat time on a can of spray paint? They intentionally try to fool you into reading all the CRAP by labeling it as instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:55 am:

The Owners manual for my 1965 Corvair is 30 pages long. The owners manual for my 2006 E-250 has 3 times that many pages just on the use of restraining devices. My Daughter now uses my method of instruction with the Grandchildren "If you start the car before you put on your seatbelt I'm taking the keys back for 30 days. Kids will listen with the proper motivation! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:12 am:

I can't imagine the warning labels on football helmets today. They must be on the inside, as if they were on the outside, there would be no room for the team logo or all those little game ball stickers.

A far cry from the "smoking lamp is out" or "smoking lamp is lit" warning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

In recalling this thread I asked a friend the other day the difference between flammable and inflammable. He didn't know, but his daughter was with him so he asked her.
She replied that she didn't know either, because she was flame retarded, and walked away!
I'm sorry but that is what happened. I'm not making it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:15 am:

I walked into a similar situation of very UN-PC actions when my
stepson was little. He was playing with toy cars and blocks on his
bedroom floor and singing to himself. The song was Wind Beneath
My Wings, but his words were a little off ....

"Did I ever tell you you're my negro"

We had a "little talk" and got him squared away on the Roger Whitaker's
intended lyrics. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 03:53 am:

Burger, does your stepson know the name of Santa's reindeer that teased Rudolph?
It's "Olive;" it's in the song, "Olive the other reindeer. . . "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 05:58 am:

''not for other use'' lawyerspeak for ''DON'T USE THIS SMOKIN' HOT IRON ON YOUR PUBIC HAIR''.....true

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

How do you use a small amount of liquid to keep children out of buckets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Been a paramedic for 20 years. I saw someone who used the curling iron for other uses.......but forgot to unplug it. People like that kept me employed for 20 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Our wildland fire truck!
Note last line!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Rob, have you seen the warning label on kitchen mixers? Ran on a kid doing dishes and the button to eject the beaters was broken. So to clean it they would turn it on and put it in dishwater. It wound his fingers into beaters. Nothing broken and no blood but very painfull. Tin snips to the rescue. It was a comercial type mixer to boot. Some people need the label. The rest of us use common sense!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Perhaps more warning labels are needed ?

A childhood friend pressed on to become a doctor. During his
residency, he said a guy hovered out in the shadows beyond the
ambulance drop-off area for hours. When approached, he would
retreat and later return. Finally someone got some words with him
and it was soon discovered he had a 100 watt light bulb up his ass.

I have never seen a warning label saying "Do not use your ass to
change a light bulb" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

I thought about this thread today when I was at a little hole in the wall eating. Can't remember word for word but there was a handwritten sign saying "warning ordering a rare steak may cause health problems"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 02:52 am:

Dallas, Your fire truck sign reminded me of the story about the major factory burning and they called in volunteer departments from all over to help. The Owner offered a huge reward to any department that could save the company's safe in the middle of the factory. Just as he's made the offer, the department from the Norwegian town shows up, all old guys and an old Water truck--they drive straight into the fire and are able to save the safe! When asked what they will do with the reward, their chief says, "Well, the first thing we're gonna do is fix the Brakes on that truck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 03:18 am:

David - I wonder if that was the fire truck I heard about that had a sign on the side that read,...."Same Day Service"! (:^)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration