Rear axle time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Everything else done, it's time to deal with the rear axle in my '21 Touring. The driveshaft being out, I can see the passenger side thrust washer and it is brass. I want to check the other side before driving the car. The inside of the housing is clean and dry so obviously no lube has been put in since reassembly. I would like to seperate the housing halves to see the other thrust washer and the differential parts. Can I just remove the fasteners connecting the two halves and slide them apart? With the drivers side in place, meaning everything back in that half, can I bolt up the driveshaft and check the clearance between the ring gear and pinion gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:00 am:

To check r/p clearance, the rear axle needs to be mounted vertically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Yes to both questions! Hope everything checks out. If you become tempted to leave something marginal in there and button it back up, consider the effort required to remove the rear axle and go through it again if the marginal part fails down the road. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Tommy, I went through this last year. Though I rebuilt a Ruckstell axle, many of the steps to rebuild a non-Ruckstell axle are the same. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/661880.html

On the 18 Aug entry you'll see how I mounted the axle assembly to check gear lash.

Cliff Colee

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration